new load shaft seals are leaking

New to me JD 830 (3 cylinder), load shaft seals were leaking and the whole load shaft was in pretty sorry shape, noticeable wear where the seals would ride,
threads stripped, etc. So I wanted to fix it right, got all new parts from JD, load shaft, bushings, seals, etc. Cleaned out hydraulic system, screen, new
filter, new oil, wanted to have everything in my favor. By the way, I know that for the bigger tractors, there are some aftermarket providers that are highly
recommended, but apparently these vendors don't have anything for this tractor, at least that I could find.
I was not impressed with how the seals fit in the bushings, they seemed to be a little loose. Kind of like the OD of the seal was a little smaller than the ID
of the recess where the seals fit. Also, the seals were not quite as thick as the recess. But I thought that maybe that when the shaft was installed, the shaft
will expand the seals so they fit better. I don't think I damaged the seals installing them, but the shaft is only 3/4, so you have to distort the seals quite
a bit to get them in place.
Put it all back together and gave it a good workout, all seemed well. Overnight, I had probably a couple of tablespoons of leakage from both sides on the barn
floor. Pretty disappointing.
Is there a better source for the seals themselves? Is there a better seal to use that the JD part? Maybe try to stuff an O Ring into the recess also to take up
space? That might work, but I doubt there is enough room Maybe put some RTV in the recess, then install the seal?
I would appreciate any advice, thanks

I tried the new seals on a 1020 with no luck either. I ended up going to a hydraulic shop and got a variety of o-rings to put in it. Seemed to work for the short time I owned it.

Dan
JD utility tractors such as your 830 have quad rings that very closely resemble the updated seals to replace original type seals early JD 10 through 20 series rowcrop tractors had(see photo below. On subject of old style rowcrop seal it was easy for inexperienced technician to install seal "backwards direction''.
What part # did you utilize on your 830??

Prior to installing shaft did you apply oil to shaft & after installation did you use shim washers to ""remove any side motion from shaft"" where draft arms were being installed?

""""""Old style rowcrop L/D seal in photo below.""""""

mvphoto101261.png

This post was edited by Tx Jim on 01/09/2023 at 07:04 am.

Tx Jim, thanks for responding. The 830 parts shows the seal to be a washer, #T25795. I had a discussion with the parts guy to make sure
it was really a seal. What I got was nothing like your picture, what I call a lip seal. It is just a solid plastic (teflon?) ring,
rectangular cross section. I did oil the shaft and shimmed it up so there is no side play.

I altered my previous post to indicate photo in above post is for a seal utilized on JD 10 through 20 series rowcrop tractors.

R27149 is the correct part # for L/D shaft seal on a 830 utility tractor. T25795 is a washer to remove slack between trans case bushing & 3 pt draft arm.

JD parts personnel that sold you washer(T25795) representing it as a seal needs to attend "parts school 101".
mvphoto101263.png

Dan, Sounds like they didn't give you all the parts?? The soft rubber seal they gave you is correct but, you did not mention the O-ring that goes in bushing groove first then the seal. The seal sets inside of O-ring?? The O-ring in groove will apply pressure / squeeze on rubber bushing / seal which then makes seal tighter on shaft. These seals work well and are very simple. The O-ring allow shaft to flex / move for draft control while maintaining a seal between tractor and shaft. Did they provide you with the outer two O-rings that go around the soft seals? One for each side?? DW O-ring Part # R27149

WTW
Thanks for correcting my mistake. I should have researched part # T25795 better to determine it was a white neoprene type washer that must be incorporated with part# R27149

I've been reading TX Jim's responses, yours, and looking at the parts diagram, and the missing o-rings are the problem. I'm going to order
new seals and o-rings and try again.
I really appreciate the help you guys have provided. I'll let you know how it works out.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back