New to me 440 with loader ???

PowderKeg

New User
So I recently doubled the Case fleet with a late model (1969?) 440 + Case loader to keep my 311B company. Likely got plenty of questions to come down the road, but the most pressing at the moment are:

- looking for service, parts, and ops manuals. Is there a particular part/manual number/series I need to get to cover the changes mine has benefitted from over the years? I've got an earlier version of the 430 parts manual (RI A402) that doesn't cover a lot of mine (like the diff lock, Draft-o-matic 3pt, twin cylinder power steering, dual range trans w/o shuttle shift, etc). Want a manual for the loader too, which leads to...

- where can I find the loader model/serial plate/# - no joy yet, but I've been known to look right past the obvious sometimes. Did a model 22 come with twin bucket cylinders? Only 22's I've seen so far have a single in the center. Also, this one is plumbed direct to the levers/valves down beside the seat and Draft-o-matic, not to a separate set of levers up on the right loader mount post.

- TractorData.com says the weight of a 440 is @ 1000 lbs less than my 311B, which I find REAL hard to swallow - CAT scales say my 440 + loader weigh @ 5800 lbs. Previous owner says tires aren't filled and the rims look good, not eaten out like so many other filled ones, although TData says rears should be x24s while mine are x28s - not original rims maybe? Would a guesstimate of @ 4300 lbs be reasonable for just the tractor + @ 1500 for the loader?

Got a few other issues to work on - pto won't disengage, clutch is grabbing at the very top of the pedal, brakes are meh at the bottom of the pedals, fixing a small gas leak at a bum compression coupling, nothing particularly unexpected.

Thanks in advance!

mvphoto102073.jpg

Nebraska test says 3600 with operator. Thats for a 1961, but I doubt it changed much over the years. I would have guessed more than that.

https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2227&context=tractormuseumlit

Its a fun tractor to work on once you remove the loader. These are the two manuals you want. observe the serial number on the parts manual. CM
cvphoto146784.jpg

cvphoto146785.jpg

Thanks for the replies, I'm a little surprised at the 3600 lb weight too, since the scales say 5800 with the loader, hard to believe the loader accounts for the @ 2200 lb difference, but maybe.... Still haven't checked the tires for fill yet, but I'm inclined at the moment to believe the previous owner that they're not.

Will keep the s/n handy while perusing fleabay for manuals, it's 836xxxx which makes it a late '69.

Got the gas line leak fixed and added an inline filter - after a few minutes runtime the sediment bowl looks like a shot of bad whisky. Now appears to have a cruddy/sticking needle or float valve - left me sitting a short time at the gas pump until I coaxed it back to life. Ran fine on the trip back but had gas oozing out of the carb where it shouldn't be after parking again.

Loader hoses are all gonna need replaced sooner rather than later, which will give me a chance to re-route somewhat - almost impossible to get to the hydro fill plug right now with the knot of hoses and couplers and loader arms. Got oil oozing up out of the gearshift once it warms up - rear res is full almost to top and far over the dipstick fill mark, so I'm guessing there's a leak/fluid transfer going on of some sort between the res's. Really gotta find some manuals...

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back