Nice classified add

Here in Utah one of the local TV stations has a website. And they have a popular section for classified adds. Sometimes I go to , Industrial, Farm equipment. And just see what is for sale. I found this add and it warmed my heart a little. As I do some custom small bailing with an Oliver 1600 and the second Hesston 4650 to come off of the assembly line. And I pull an Oliver rake with a Farmall C. Looks like this guy is setup pretty good! Looks like he even has a good little helper. I hope he has a safe and prosperous hay season! He is offering his sevices @ $1.85 a bale and $50 an acre for raking. How does that compare in your neck of the woods?

Attachments

• Hay business 1.jpg
    Hay business 1.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 189
  • Hay business 2.jpg
    Hay business 2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 186
  • Hay business 3.jpg
    Hay business 3.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
I frequently get out of touch with pricing, as I can’t keep up with the inflation we have had the past 5 years.

I don’t like raking hay with a narrow front tractor why smash all the hay into the dirt, and $50 seems a tad high?

I suspect he is doing small little corners with that age of equipment. And so he has to charge on the higher end to make up for the low volume per job.

So it’s probably not a bad deal.

Paul

Here in Utah one of the local TV stations has a website. And they have a popular section for classified adds. Sometimes I go to , Industrial, Farm equipment. And just see what is for sale. I found this add and it warmed my heart a little. As I do some custom small bailing with an Oliver 1600 and the second Hesston 4650 to come off of the assembly line. And I pull an Oliver rake with a Farmall C. Looks like this guy is setup pretty good! Looks like he even has a good little helper. I hope he has a safe and prosperous hay season! He is offering his sevices @ $1.85 a bale and $50 an acre for raking. How does that compare in your neck of the woods?
Like most others I prefer the nimbleness of an NFE tractor to a wide one for raking. It doesn't run over one more stem/acre than a WF does. I am getting around $7.00/ bale and when I have done custom hay making I charged $1.00 less/bale than what I was selling for. I think that the rate for raking is fair.

I suspect that he's doing it for fun and really doesn't care if he turns a profit.

That said, people will still cry that he's robbing them blind at the rate he's charging. Seems like unless you're giving it away for free, and sometimes even if you are, you're price gouging.

For the horsey crowd maybe

Like most others I prefer the nimbleness of an NFE tractor to a wide one for raking. It doesn't run over one more stem/acre than a WF does. I am getting around $7.00/ bale and when I have done custom hay making I charged $1.00 less/bale than what I was selling for. I think that the rate for raking is fair.
I live in a region of high humidities most summers, heavy clay soils, dew that might burn off about 11:00am and return a bit after 6:00pm, and a bit more rain than we know what to do with. On average.

Driving over the cut hay with more tires and pressing it into the moist soil is just not a good thing. If you can limit to the two pairs of tracks is much better than the 4 tracks you get with a narrow front end. Then for moving windrows you have less options for straddling light windrows and such.

Also alfalfa is a very common hay crop here, and you do what you can to save those leaves. Less wheel traffic the better!

We don’t often see a side rake with a front dolly around here either. We just do not want the wheel traffic pressing down on the hay. I’ve heard those are common in some areas?

Different areas have different concerns, and I understand that. Was just pointing it out for my area.

Schwartz wide fronts, Oliver wide fronts, my newer compact tractor wide front, others all turn quite short. I use an extended hitch (3pt mounted actually) so I don’t turn too short and get the side rake into the tractor tire actually, with my wide fronts. The IHC 300 wide front is of course the oddball in my shed and I understand it’s not so great if you can’t turn short while raking.

Paul

I live in a region of high humidities most summers, heavy clay soils, dew that might burn off about 11:00am and return a bit after 6:00pm, and a bit more rain than we know what to do with. On average.

Driving over the cut hay with more tires and pressing it into the moist soil is just not a good thing. If you can limit to the two pairs of tracks is much better than the 4 tracks you get with a narrow front end. Then for moving windrows you have less options for straddling light windrows and such.

Also alfalfa is a very common hay crop here, and you do what you can to save those leaves. Less wheel traffic the better!

We don’t often see a side rake with a front dolly around here either. We just do not want the wheel traffic pressing down on the hay. I’ve heard those are common in some areas?

Different areas have different concerns, and I understand that. Was just pointing it out for my area.

Schwartz wide fronts, Oliver wide fronts, my newer compact tractor wide front, others all turn quite short. I use an extended hitch (3pt mounted actually) so I don’t turn too short and get the side rake into the tractor tire actually, with my wide fronts. The IHC 300 wide front is of course the oddball in my shed and I understand it’s not so great if you can’t turn short while raking.

Paul
Your regional conditions describe conditions here exactly.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back