Old thread url numbers changed web search can't open

Dave G9N

When I search for something tractor related and the search engine finds a thread on YT, the search engine links to an obsolete address. It never did that before, so I think it may be related to the upgrade. (I may not have called it an upgrade at first, but I'm getting used to it. Old dog, new trick, it takes time.)

I looked for something about stabilizer bars using an image search. I clicked on an image and the thread title in the pop up box was "3 point stabilizer bars" When I clicked on the link to open the thread, I found that the search engine has recorded the old address from the time the search engine recorded it.

(NOTE: I copied the words in quotes off the search engine, Duck duck go, and the link came along for the ride. It is the same as the 1057054 link below. It will redirect as described below, so however it appeared, it illustrates the problem. The rest of this was written before I found that the link had been copied along with the text and inserted. )

When I tried to open the link in the search engine, I was redirected here:
I copied the link to see what was happening. This is the old link:
I searched the thread title and found the thread. This is the new address:
1102054/
I tried several more and got similar results. The search engine had the wrong number for all of the images so it would redirect to https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/ or to whichever existing thread had been reassigned to that number.

I would imagine that this would be a nuisance to fix. I suspect that a cross reference would be very hard to generate. All I can think of is to find a way to inform the user on the redirect page that if they were directed there by a browser they can do a 'titles only search' to find the page. Most sites use the 404 error page with some vague instruction to search somewhere. How to word the instructions clearly and present it is not my area of expertise. The problem should fade away as the browsers refresh and attach new addresses to the old images. Unless of course things don't work the way I imagine they do.

Disclaimer:
On my map, html is on the edge along with 'here there be dragons', so I never go there. I am trying to communicate with web administrators who speak a language I can only guess at. If I have garbled my description, pm me and perhaps with a little guidance I can clarify or edit it into an understandable form.

When I search for something tractor related and the search engine finds a thread on YT, the search engine links to an obsolete address. It never did that before, so I think it may be related to the upgrade. (I may not have called it an upgrade at first, but I'm getting used to it. Old dog, new trick, it takes time.)

I looked for something about stabilizer bars using an image search. I clicked on an image and the thread title in the pop up box was "3 point stabilizer bars" When I clicked on the link to open the thread, I found that the search engine has recorded the old address from the time the search engine recorded it.

(NOTE: I copied the words in quotes off the search engine, Duck duck go, and the link came along for the ride. It is the same as the 1057054 link below. It will redirect as described below, so however it appeared, it illustrates the problem. The rest of this was written before I found that the link had been copied along with the text and inserted. )

1102054/
I tried several more and got similar results. The search engine had the wrong number for all of the images so it would redirect to https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/ or to whichever existing thread had been reassigned to that number.

I would imagine that this would be a nuisance to fix. I suspect that a cross reference would be very hard to generate. All I can think of is to find a way to inform the user on the redirect page that if they were directed there by a browser they can do a 'titles only search' to find the page. Most sites use the 404 error page with some vague instruction to search somewhere. How to word the instructions clearly and present it is not my area of expertise. The problem should fade away as the browsers refresh and attach new addresses to the old images. Unless of course things don't work the way I imagine they do.

Disclaimer:
On my map, html is on the edge along with 'here there be dragons', so I never go there. I am trying to communicate with web administrators who speak a language I can only guess at. If I have garbled my description, pm me and perhaps with a little guidance I can clarify or edit it into an understandable form.
Yes, the thread numbers from modern view changed by +45000. It had to be to fit the data into the database. On the classic side, we put direct links from the old threads into the new allowing for the extra 45000, but couldn't do that on the modern side. The modern side just ends up at the home page if the old link is used. The thread in question is now:

I'm not sure we can put enough smarts into our rewriting to accommodate creating the temporary links from old modern threads, but the search engines should be reindexing everything so the old link should be going away. What search engine was it that you found the old link on?

The extenuating circumstance is that at least on Google, mostly classic view was indexed so those links should work and maybe are already reindexed over to this system. On other search engines, I'm not sure if we have informed them or if they are just reindexing as they check the site again.

P.S. I am checking with our guru on rewrites to see if we could rewrite the old URLs to map the thread number correctly. I can't imagine that would work but it's worth a try.

Last edited:

1102054/

Disclaimer:
Just realized you said it was duck duck go. They might take longer to reindex (I use DDG too myself). What I said above would fix it if it's possible. I'll get back to you one way or the other.

Just realized you said it was duck duck go. They might take longer to reindex (I use DDG too myself). What I said above would fix it if it's possible. I'll get back to you one way or the other.
I am impressed with the quick response.

I tried adding 45000 to an address. It didn't work. I searched the thread title to see what the address should be. The new address was different by 5311844. I tried another one and got a different answer.

I think it might be faster to wait it out than fix it. Searching the thread titles works well enough. Communicating that might be an exercise in frustration and miscommunication. First, you have to limit it to the people who run into the problem, then you have to get their attention, and then...

I tried adding 45000 to an address. It didn't work. I searched the thread title to see what the address should be. The new address was different by 5311844. I tried another one and got a different answer.

I think it might be faster to wait it out than fix it. Searching the thread titles works well enough. Communicating that might be an exercise in frustration and miscommunication. First, you have to limit it to the people who run into the problem, then you have to get their attention, and then...
Yes, it's more than just changing the number. The format has to be changed from viewtopic.php?t=nnnn to threads/.nnnn/ and the nnnn is bumped by 45000. It's not a solution but if we can do it behind the scenes via cloudflare, it would be. No word on that yet, but I found out that DDG uses primarily Bing spidering so when Bing updates, DDG will soon afterward. Trying to find out who we can force Bing to reindex. We were able to do that with Google with a command. It's also interesting that Google select Classic view to index and Bing selected modern view. Go google started working instantly but not Bing.

It is looking like we can do the redirect. I'll post back when it's done.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back