Could someone explain how the muffler is
supposed to attach to the exhaust manifold
on an Oliver 60 Row Crop?

I need a new muffler as my tractor didn't
have one when I got it. I did not get the
muffler yet because I would like to know
how it attaches before I order it.

Thank you!

It slides down over the pipe on the manifold and is held by a muffler clamp. They use a short offset muffler that sits entirely under the hood. The offset outlet lines up with the hole in the hood and a straight pipe slides down over it.

Thank you. If it is supposed to slide down on the outside of the manifold, why do the mufflers I am finding on the market say they are supposed to slide down inside the outlet on the manifold?

OK, ya, that's a different set up than I thought it was. I did a search and found pictures of new and used ones. Looks like they go down inside.

Ok thanks. Since they are supposed to go down inside the manifold, does it just sit in there or is there some way to fasten it in place?

There are no holes in the manifold to bolt or screw the muffler in place and an exhaust clamp on the outside of the manifold would do nothing.

Is it relying completely on friction to keep the muffler inside the manifold?

Yes, the muffler just sits down inside the manifold. I put a small dab of anti-seize on the muffler end to prevent it from rusting to the manifold. Then typically use a rubber mallet to tap the muffler into the manifold to prevent it from working loose.

Bailey @ Antique Acres

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back