On a John Deere G, how much width can I save by just removing the rims/tires and loading it on the cast hubs/wheels?

andy r

We want to move a later model John Deere G. Wheels haven't been moved since it was new and farming 38 or 40 inch rows. I don't think it will fit on the trailer. If I just take the rims/tires off and pull it on the trailer with the cast iron hubs/wheels how many inches am I going to save for width? The tractor is a distance away so I just can't go check it myself. I guess I think by removing both rims I could reduce the width by possibly 10 to 12 inches? What do you think? Thanks.

We want to move a later model John Deere G. Wheels haven't been moved since it was new and farming 38 or 40 inch rows. I don't think it will fit on the trailer. If I just take the rims/tires off and pull it on the trailer with the cast iron hubs/wheels how many inches am I going to save for width? The tractor is a distance away so I just can't go check it myself. I guess I think by removing both rims I could reduce the width by possibly 10 to 12 inches? What do you think? Thanks.
I think 10" but if the tires are full of fluid you will need something to lift them with and the total weight you'll be hauling around 7500 lbs.

Sounds like desperation to me, find someone with a deck over trailer to haul it for you. Back when I was hunting tractors I found out very quickly that most tractors of any size were too wide to safely get on a regular bumper pull trailer. I found a modified deck over trailer that had drive over wheel wells that has worked well. Being advised of the weight of loaded tires, even the safety of handling a tire the size that would be on a G should be a real concern even if not loaded. Be safe.

I moved the rims/tires on my G in about 10" both sides then it fits on my trailer in between the fenders. Guess you'll have to measure the distance that you have between the fenders then go from there. Its not a fun job moving the rims in. Tom in Mn.

Instead of making everybody guess, why don't you measure from the outside of the wheel centers? If you can't figure that out, measure the insides of the rims from one rim to the other, then measure from the inside edge of the rims to the outside of the cast center. Go through the notch by the valve stem. Multiply that by two and add it to the number from the inside to inside on the rims.

I moved the rims/tires on my G in about 10" both sides then it fits on my trailer in between the fenders. Guess you'll have to measure the distance that you have between the fenders then go from there. Its not a fun job moving the rims in. Tom in Mn.
Back in the day when my older brother and I were teenagers we tried in vain to move the rear tires on our 47 G. We were in our barn with access to all our tools, jacks, and chains and we still could not get either wheel to move at all. The knowledge gained from that experience has served me well over the years.

569A963A-6275-4292-A833-4207C032A5A0.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
Run one wheel up on blocks to get on top of fender and chain it down. Ever seen how they haul new combines? Most of them are setting on a stack of blocks of wood. I have some 8x8 inch left over posts ends that I cut at an angle and just drive up on them. Has worked good always.

Thank you for all responses. I got the tractor moved. I had moved many tractors over the years. The problem was the tractor was 160 miles away and the wheels probably haven't been moved on the axles for 50 years. I had a guy who was a neighbor to the shed it was stored in measure the total width. His phone call back and said 7 1/2 feet. That would not go between the fenders. Yes, I had thought of running one side up over the fender via blocks. I ended up taking the rims with the tires off and it just barely fit on. If I could have taken the studs out of the castings I would have had 2 inches on each side. Didn't take a pipe wrench. Loaded the wheels flat on the back of the trailer. Tractor was rolled clear to the front of the trailer which provided just the right amount of pickup weight. I have a great deal of trailering experience with a 26 foot bumper hitch camper weighing 6500 pounds - have done some 1300 mile trips with up to 700 miles a day. Mileage with the camper is 10 mpg. Mileage with the John Deere G was in the 13.5 mpg range. Chevrolet Silverado 1/2 ton with a 5.7 handled the load well running the speed limit but always allowing ample room for braking. Yes, I have trailer brakes. By the way, we are keeping the tractor in the family. It was my father inlaws. Thanks for the responses.

glad it made it! The g is probably the same weight as the camper but doesn’t have much drag it’s pretty aerodynamic must be all the styling haha its 5000 lbs plus whatever your trailer is so not much difference

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back