Plastic fuel tank

flying belgian

The drain plug insert in bottom of plastic fuel tank on my cx100 drips. Has since the day I bought it. Therefore you cannot get the drain plug out. In the 20 years I've owned the tractor I have never been able to drain the water from bottom of tank.

I had it positioned in a way there was least amount of drip. Maybe 5 gallons a year. I have it at dealer for a different problem and after sitting in their shop over weekend the mechanic saw drain was dripped on floor. Not knowing the situation he tryed tightening plug. That disturbed the insert and now it is dripping bad. How can I fix that? I'm not against patching right over the drain plug as I can't use it anyway. I can siphon the fuel out but I don't think I can get it completely dry. Does anything work in the presence of diesel? It would really be quite an undertaking to remove the tank. I might be able to back one side up the loading dock but I don't think enough to run fuel away from drain. I'm open to trying anykind of snake oil.

#9 on the diagram below? I'd tear it out, drill it out and install an expanding plug in the hole.

1705505932836.png

Have a cx90 bought new in 99. It started dripping about 2005 or so. Have used some epoxy fuel tank sealer on outside a few times. Seems to last about 5 or 6 years. Finally said heck with it. I just park it with several rags or an old quilt under it. Last time i checked a new tank was close to $2000. If it wasnt for getting shavings inside tank i have thought about shaping a thin metal piece over it and using self tapping screws to secure it with a good thick coat of silicone between the patch and tank.

Do a google search for " brass bulkhead fittings". Drill the tank for the new fitting. Fish a piece of mechanic's wire from the filler or gauge hole down through the drain hole. Slide the bulkhead fitting down the wire. Put nut on new fitting and remove wire. Add a drain cock to the new bulkhead fitting.

Do a google search for " brass bulkhead fittings". Drill the tank for the new fitting. Fish a piece of mechanic's wire from the filler or gauge hole down through the drain hole. Slide the bulkhead fitting down the wire. Put nut on new fitting and remove wire. Add a drain cock to the new bulkhead fitting.
Exactly!! Just make sure the gasket is suitable for the fuel. steve

Look at the existing plug to assess its diameter (threads). select a Torx driver (or buy a cheap one) that is 50 to 60% of that diameter. Heat the driver tip hot enough to melt into the plastic using a propane torch. Center the driver tip in the plug, and push it in making new splines. (only about 1/4inch!! let it harden, then turn out the plug. Have a cork or other plug ready to go in (or a new IH part! Jim

The new brass drain is surely the best way to go. But I have used gas tank epoxy to seal the gas cap of a push mower and that epoxy lasted for close to 20 years until I junked the mower.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back