Portable Work Light Height

Glenn F.

Hopefully I can keep this simple. Im about to fabricate the above light to be used around the shop/property as needed. Base is a 14-1/2 inch worn out disc harrow blade. Stem is 3/4 inch steel conduit. On top will be a 4 inch octagon steel light fixture box, bulb socket is a simple porcelain one (perhaps I should get a lighter plastic one) and bulb is a screw in LED bulb with three adjustable arms. Cord will be inside stem with a grommet where it exits the base.

Now here is the question: How tall do you think I can make the stem and still be stable (not tip over easily)? I am using all scrap materials so everything will be welded solid (no connectors). Altering the height after the fact will not be real simple.

Thank you for your input on this project.

Glenn F.

Put more weight on the disc blade, maybe 15 pounds. on the top of a 30 inch vertical conduit, put an adjustable link (used on yard light sockets) that has a wing nut or screw that allows several angles from less then 90 to 180, with teeth. Extend from the adjuster a second pipe about 35 inches with a socket for the bulb there. This allows use without wishing it were shorter or taller. The fixture can be directly attached to the second conduit to reduce weight. Jim
example

socket

higher is always better due to shadows. experiment what you need for height and light. at 6 or 7 ft high you would need the bottom to have extra weight on it. that disc blade is not going to cut it. a truck rim to suit your needs is a way better idea.

I have a halogen light about 4 inches square or so setting on top of about a 8 foot pipe held with an old cast iron base with about a 30 inch high stem for the pipe to slip over. It is heavy but never tips over in use. I've used it to work inside a grain bin to working on equipment inside or out. The cord just hangs down the outside with a plug for an extension cord to plug it into. No tripping over a cord while moving. I just tilt it some and wheel it like an oxygen bottle sort of. I think you want something more substantial for the base And the pole. IF you had the option I would make it height adjustable for seeing on higher things or working over head so there are less shadows. An inch pipe would be good for the pole with a 3/4 inside or a larger over it. Then a set screw or holes at intervals to hold it up.

I made a similar one several years back and it still is working well. I used a heavy brake rotor for a base and a LED floodlight for a bulb. Mine's about 6 feet high as that happened to be the length of conduit I had around at the moment and works well for what I use it for.

Needs to be high enough that it wont shine in your eyes if you look towards it. Weight or extend the base enough to stabilize it at that height.

Weld or clamp short pipe to back of hand truck so you can still use it for other things. You can slide any length of pipe into socket and any weight on bottom plate.

Since your only request is how high, make it as tall as possible.

But short enough so that when you want to move it you are not scrapping the ceiling or hitting the top of doorway, etc. when you lift it off the floor and walk with it.

You can always tack weld extra weight to the base as desired.

(quoted from post at 12:35:56 07/19/23) Weld or clamp short pipe to back of hand truck so you can still use it for other things. You can slide any length of pipe into socket and any weight on bottom plate.

nice.

Thank you for each of your input. Today I got an old Ford 3500 rotor at a repair shop in town Ill use for my base. Im keeping it simple. Unfortunately Im not gonna have time to finish this project for at least another week. Ill post a photo when Im done.

Glenn F.

twenty years ago I converted two 400w metal halide ceiling lights into work lights. Coffee can reflectors, exhaust pipe sections as the stem, extension cords for the exposed wiring, ballasts in the base. Bright like the sun, tilts and stand from 2' to 10' off the floor.

Made a couple using using section of 1 1/4" ID tubing, drilled near the top to weld a nut and winged bolt to go through. Then attached the light fixture to a 1 1/4" OD section of tubing. Just slide the one into the other and used the winged bolt to tighten at the desired height. Ran the cord on the inside of the tubing and had no problems.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back