PR picker project

jon f mn

Was having trouble with the picker plugging up at the husking bed. One of the rubber rollers had worn down to the point where it wouldn't pull the husks off the cobs so the would hang on the end of the bed and stop flow. So I decided to take the roll apart and rebuild it. The rubber looked like it was pieces of a tire sidewall cut and pieced together. Getting the end off was a real joy! You had to reach in the elevator, under the channel and get behind to get a wrench on the bolts. Would have been easy with an extra wrist, not so easy with only one per arm tho. Lol

cvphoto167310.jpg

cvphoto167311.jpg

Once I got those out things came apart easy. The end of the roller wasn't even rusted on. This is what the old rubbers looked like.

cvphoto167313.jpg

cvphoto167314.jpg

So I used a hole saw to cut some slices out of tires.

cvphoto167315.jpg

To cut the square hole in the middle I picked up a thin wall square tube to use as a punch. I just sharpened the ends and used a 10lb Mall on it to punch holes.

cvphoto167316.jpg

This is what the new discs look like.

cvphoto167321.jpg

You can see the d8fference in size here.

cvphoto167322.jpg

Here is the finished project.

cvphoto167323.jpg

cvphoto167324.jpg

Should work a lot better now. Ill be trying it this weekend, ill try to get some video of it in action.

Interesting pic of the tube after. Lol

cvphoto167325.jpg

A short video of it turning
Running

Great job, Jon. I shared your video, of you using the picker, with the family you bought the it from. They are thrilled that you bought it, saved it and have it running as good as ever.

Gene

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back