Change of pace from the 300 and 350 utility
discussion. My wife says those are too big
for her, that opens the door for a Cub!

I've got my eye on 2. The one in question is
a 1955 with plow and Woods belly mower. The
original ad says runs good but needs
hydraulics rebuilt. Seller states that he
replaced the pump and the improved pressure
from the new pump destroyed the metal filter.
He says now the control box needs a new
filter and to be rebuilt. He priced the parts
and says it's about $100. I don't know
anything about Cub hydraulics. Does the
problem as described make sense, could there
be alot more expensive damage? I'll have
further questions but I'll start with this.
Btw. The tractor has good tires and straight
metal. Thanks for the help! Paul

They mow grass that is lawn length, not overgrown. They can do garden and garden plowing. (9 to 12 hp) they are not scary!
The hydraulics probably had a plugged screen and suction caved it in. Do not be afraid of that, it is simple, and in a box. Jim

Well like Jim stated they are NO power house and if they are getting tired that mower will have all it wants on short grass . As for he Hyd. they are not that hard to work on BUT one can open a can of worms and NOTHING in the Case I H parts book is CHEAP any more . One can improve the performance of the cub engine when doing a rebuild buy usen the pistons from a 185 along with the head and carb and double your PONY POWER . As a teenage i had a 58 cub with fast hitch and all the toys to go with it and for a couple years i worked it to death . One thing to keep in mind with a FARMALL CUB is to NEVER get the engine side on the down hill side as they will FALL OVER .

I never liked the idea of paying more for smaller. And in my area, H's and M's seem to sell for less money than the smaller tractors of the same series. Might as well have more bang for your buck. Especially if cheaper. Just my opinion.

Truth is, your wife will get along just fine or better on something bigger than a Cub. Once she gets past the fact that it's just bigger, there's really nothing else past that.

I never was a fan of off center tractors. That part is probably just me personally. Just always seemed kind of messed up. Probably get used to it if drove long enough. But I never really cared to.

Thanks everybody for the great advice. I'm now considering an A OR SA. If I do get a Cub I'll get a Low Boy because it sounds like they are better for cutting grass.
Thanks again!
Paul

(quoted from post at 16:55:45 09/06/23) Thanks everybody for the great advice. I'm now considering an A OR SA. If I do get a Cub I'll get a Low Boy because it sounds like they are better for cutting grass.
Thanks again!
Paul

The A or Super A will be bigger heavier and have more horsepower, but you may find that you will not be able to do as much as you could have with a cub, due to implement availability.

In order of implement availability, I would rate the A as the worst, and the cub as the best.

If you're not going to go with a Cub, just make sure the A or Super A comes with the implement you need, AND all the pieces to mount it, ESPECIALLY if you get an A, or else you will just have a basic wagon-puller.

Biggest shortcoming with the A is the lack of a universal lift system. Each implement has its own lift, which needs to come off for the next implement. Pieces get lost, repurposed, scrapped, and then the implement is useless...

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back