Refitting the transmission cover MF240

alltron

New User
When I bought this 240 the Quandrant Levers, 3-point hitch levers, were seized together, probably from years of not being used. Finally I removed the trans top cover
and turned it upside down on the bench to get the lever rods loosened and moving indepentently. Now!! Trying to replace the top cover! Apparantly there is a sneaky way to position the lift control lever which protrudes downward, and right beside the lift ram. First attempt I found the Position Lever spring-loaded and won't stay down, springs upward. Can't be right! Second try I find the two levers both loose, like they should be, but starting the engine causes the lift arms to raise, and nothing I do will lower them. So, does anyone know the trick to positioning this activation lever in the proper place when lowering the transmission cover into place? Thank you for any suggestions.

I hope you mean LIFT COVER, the transmission cover has the shift levers. The hydraulic pump roller lever I hold back with the dipstick when setting the lift cover in place so the lift cover control levers are in front of the lever roller.

Yes indeed, the Lift Cover would be correct. Now on this 1992 Model 240 there is only one flat lever extending down, about 10 or 12 inches.
It sets perpendicular to whatever it pushes. Slowly lowering the cover down aparantly still puts the lever in the wrong position. Maybe you're picturing the older ones that had two smaller levers and I know they both fit in front of their target. Anyway I'm beginning to think I'll have to drain the fluid and remove the right side plate and then somehow maybe with a light see where it goes. Thank you answering, if you can think of anything else, please let me know.

Yes indeed, the Lift Cover would be correct. Now on this 1992 Model 240 there is only one flat lever extending down, about 10 or 12 inches.
It sets perpendicular to whatever it pushes. Slowly lowering the cover down aparantly still puts the lever in the wrong position. Maybe you're picturing the older ones that had two smaller levers and I know they both fit in front of their target. Anyway I'm beginning to think I'll have to drain the fluid and remove the right side plate and then somehow maybe with a light see where it goes. Thank you answering, if you can think of anything else, please let me know.
On the older models I would stick the oil dipstick in the lowest side cover hole, and lower the oil level just below that hole to make any adjustments needed. It won't take much oil removed to get there if it's like the older models.

When I purchased my MF202, Upon starting, the lift arms with no weight on them would rise all the way to the top no matter where the lever was. I removed the right side round inspection cover and with a little gentle prying, I managed to loosen up the stuck arms inside and the lift started working as it should. I didn't need to remove the top cover. Maybe you should have done that first. Sorry I can't help you but as I said, I never removed the top cover.

I did however remove the top cover on my 8N to do repairs and I also removed that side cover to make sure the long top cover arm when into the correct place when my helper was re-installing the top cover.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back