Repairing the Yard Art--Farmall A

RedMF40

A friend is kindly giving me this tractor. He has no immediate plans for it and has a lot of other tractors that are in better shape.

I plan for it to do sentry duty at the end of my driveway, might put it with my McCormick-Deering sickle mower. I think they'll look good together.

Need to replace the steering box, which is busted. Just have to get the tractor rolling and steering enough to load onto my trailer. Anything special I need to know about putting on the new steering box? Special tools? I can supply heat but we'll be fixing it out in the field where it sits.

Also, can you tell if the part I have pictured is the correct one? I can't tell without seeing them side by side.

Thanks for any info or tips.

Gerrit
mvphoto109801.jpg

mvphoto109802.jpg

mvphoto109803.jpg

I would try to lock the steering links in a straight forward alignment with some clamps on the
remains of the steering box to get it onto the trailer. Someone may suggest other ways.

I would buy to cheap comealongs from harbor freight and attach them in opposition to each other on the tierods. Loosen one tighten the other to steer. It will be slow, but accurate and safe. Jim

Thanks for the good suggestions. Should have mentioned that I'd also like to be able to steer it when I get it home and unloaded. Since we have what's supposed to be the correct part, might as well just get it over with. I'll check with the Farmall folks and also see what utoob has to say.

I'll check back with any progress, going to be some time before I go get the tractor.

Gerrit

to do that where it sets you remove tin ware,radiator jack it up and STACK
SOLID BLOCKS TO STEADY IT BY WHERE YOUR JACK IS LOCATED ,then
axle gets took loose and fighting wide fronts are like carrying a drunk passed
out guy. then remove steering rod old casting n put er all back.
id use a long crowbar n guide it on trailer ,get it home where you can put it on
sloid surface then tear it down.
id say bent rim is what might busted it.
good luck.ive changed a couple too. please block it up securely as soon as tires
are off the ground

Looks like an A Farmall, should be no trouble finding a
used one. How big is your trailer? Id use a loader or 3
point to pick the front end up and pull both onto the
trailer and fix it at home .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back