rural king corn

Nick167

My dad heard that rural king sells seed corn and I'm curious if its worth using I've got some land arranged that I should be able to farm in the 2017 season and by the price of seed corn at 220 a bag I wasn't sure about it I know rural king corn wouldn't be as good but wood it be OK to use to get start up cost down?

I have not used it, but I wouldn't be afraid to. It is a name brand. I have talked to people who have and for the cost it is OK.

At 2.5 acres a bag that $220 bag of seed is $88 an acre. A $110 bag of corn is $44 an acre. With corn at $3.50 a bushel that is 12.5 bushels of savings per acre. A good top end hybrid can easily out yield a cheap one by 20 bu making the cheap bag of seed cost you a lot of money. Plant the good seed, give it plenty of nutrients and find a way to cut the cost of production without sacrificing yield.
AaronSEIA

Well, funny you asked. I ran a test last year with 2 bags. It did 30 bushel less than my regular corn. Split my 12 row, 6 and 6. Stood well, I thought it may lay flat! It didn't pay off, but I had to try it.

John Ruskin said years ago, "there is scarcely anything made that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The man who buys on price alone is this man's legal prey." Some corn is high priced even if it's free. Mike

I have some places that will give me 120 bu. per acre no matter what I spend on seed because of the whitetail rat population, so I plant the cheaper stuff in those spots knowing I won't see any advantage with more expensive genetics. (I get that ground for free, BTW. If I had to pay to farm it, I wouldn't be planting corn there.) In the places where the deer are under better control, I'll plant better genetics. I ran out of the higher dollar seed on the good ground in 2014 and finished off the last 5 acres with the cheaper seed I had left. The cheaper stuff did just as well as the expensive stuff, about 180 bu. per acre. But that's not how it usually plays out, I know.

I don't understand this reasoning. If you plant 180 bu/acre corn and the deer eat it down to 120 bu/acre, does that mean they don't eat the 120 bu/acre corn?

It has been sayd for years stick with the old proven standby seeds and let somebody else take the risks of the racehorse varieties as they may do you good foe 2-3 years and then fall flat on their face and you lose more than you made in other years by not going with the old proven standbuys. And I believe most of these very high priced seeds are just recently reliesed varities and are now considered the race horse types, after they have been out for 5 or more years and haven proved themself every rear will they be removed from the racehorse cattagorie. And then the price will come down to more sencible figures as they do not have to recover the development costs in one year as that variety may fall flat and not be sold against the next year. I would look at how long their seed has been avaible and then if several years check yields for your area. I never went for the big name companys as to me there were not any better than the small companys, you just paid for advertising.

What I'm saying is, I can plant a variety that could do 200 bu. per acre but deer browsing keeps it down to 120 bu. If I plant a cheaper variety that could do 150 bu. per acre, the deer would browse that down to about the same level, 120 bu. an acre. You would think that they'd do more damage to the 150 bu. corn but for some reason, it just doesn't happen that way.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back