Shibaura 0.9 liter diesel in Ford 1210

Gambles

Anybody a Shibaura 3-cylinder diesel engine expert? I'll try to make this post as short as possible. Last weekend, I was at an auction that had a Ford 1210 tractor listed. According to Tractordata, this particular model was made by Shibaura of Japan from 1983-1986 and is rated as 16 hp. This tractor was non-running, and when asked about it, the owner said he had left the exhaust open during a heavy rain. After awhile, he drained the oil and water came with it. He didn't say if this event happened months ago or years ago. The tractor also came with a front hydraulic blade, a 5-foot rear roto tiller attachment and a home-built cab. (My intent is to take off the front blade and take the cab to the dump) The weather was terrible and it all went for real cheap. There was even a new Dixie starter that went with it. Let's just say that the price for everything was cheaper than the cost of the rebuilt Dixie starter.
So I could scrap it out and come out ahead, but if I can get it to run, I will. This post is to get parts or at least info on the Shibaura engine. A quick call to the CNH dealer had the parts man say there are no parts available for this tractor except through the aftermarket. I suspected that, but when that info came without him looking at his screen, I asked him about it and he said he knew this because he owns a 1210. An email to the Shibaura web site in Japan got me an answer that said all Shiraura engine parts must come through the CHN (Ford) dealership. Yea, I made the mistake of mentioning that this was in a Ford 1210 tractor in the email. Shibaura did make this identical tractor for the Japanese sales. I might hit them up under a different email address. I also have a cousin currently working in Japan and I could see if she can get some additional info. So my question here is: Does anybody know if another 3-cylinder Shibaura engine might bolt in? This engine was used by several manufacturers and I suspect additional Shibaura engines of other various sizes might fit. Aftermarket parts seem scarce for this engine, but there are more parts available for slightly larger Shibaura engines. This will be a winter project and any advice would be great before I tear into it. TIA.

Quite a few, but not all parts ARE still available though CNH.

Go to the link below and check on the parts you need.

https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/n...BE-E111-9FCE-005056875BD6?categorySearch=true

For example, I checked on a piston, a waterpump and a transmission shaft, all of which are still available.

You can GOOGLE the part numbers you find there and aftermarket sources will come up, as well.

Or, check with Messicks in Pennsylvania, https://www.messicks.com/vendor/new-holland

Good Luck!

Ive worked on several 4 cylinders but not a 3 cyl. I will tell you even though it was out in a rain those tractors are getting enough age on them that you need to pull the sleeves and replace the orings if it has them, Im not sure on the 3 cyl.
The last two I did had failed sleeve orings. Parts were no problem for the 4 cylinders

I had just assumed that the sleeves were cast into the block on this engine, but I have no idea. I saw some site that was selling only STD. pistons, so if it has sleeves, that would explain no oversizes being sold.

Thanks for the links. I should have checked the CNH site first, but I made the mistake of trusting a parts man who didn't look up any parts while I was on the phone.

I dont think that block has sleeves after looking it up, check out Weavers Compact Tractor. They have parts and also salvage parts

I often look at Tractorbynet.com for information on this size & era of machine. I did a quick search of 1210 on that site, and a bunch of stuff comes up, including potential later engine model swaps. Our New Holland TC21D likely has something relatively similar. Good luck.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back