Shuttle Shifter

Krisfarmlady

New User
Hi All,
I have a 1994 555D Ford Backhoe that the shuttle shifter stops working after about 20-30 min.
let me be a bit clearer.... it will shift into forward and reverse but after 20-30 min. it will no longer shift into gear, tractor will just stop moving. We assumed it was once the transmission gets warmed up it just stops. But not sure if that is accurate.... Had someone tell us that the fuses needed to be cleaned or replaced as it was maybe not getting the current it should. (have cleaned them, but would just like to replace them, but unable to find them to buy).
Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Many forms of wet disc transmissions like this will do this as they get worn. There will be adequate fricion between the plates and discs when the fluid is cold and thick, but as it warms and thins the pressure will drop, and friction becomes inadequate to move the machine.

Many forms of wet disc transmissions like this will do this as they get worn. There will be adequate fricion between the plates and discs when the fluid is cold and thick, but as it warms and thins the pressure will drop, and friction becomes inadequate to move the machine.
Ok thanks.

It's a backhoe, use that to your advantaqe for testing. Use the outriggers to lift the drive wheels off the ground once it shops "shifting" and see if the wheels turn forward / reverse as selected when they are under no load. This will confirm the wear theory if they do indeed move properly when off the ground as the reduced friction when hot should still be enough to move them under no load and will prove that the shuttle mechanism is working properly. If they don't move under no load then it's probably not a wear issue and you will need to dig deeper, hopefully with a shop manual.

Hi All,
I have a 1994 555D Ford Backhoe that the shuttle shifter stops working after about 20-30 min.
let me be a bit clearer.... it will shift into forward and reverse but after 20-30 min. it will no longer shift into gear, tractor will just stop moving. We assumed it was once the transmission gets warmed up it just stops. But not sure if that is accurate.... Had someone tell us that the fuses needed to be cleaned or replaced as it was maybe not getting the current it should. (have cleaned them, but would just like to replace them, but unable to find them to buy).
Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you! We will try it and see what we find out.

So the backhoe stopped going in reverse after 14 min of run time. Still continued to go forward. We lifted back wheels off ground and it still would not go into reverse. It acted like it wanted to but didn’t. Will let it cool off and it would work again for 15 min then stopped again and only reverse. Forward continues to work.

It is sounding more like worn discs. I once came a cross a "Madison Tractor" who had discs for various Ford - New Holland models for a fraction of getting them from a dealer.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back