TE 20 DRIVE PROBLEM

LDO

New User
I have a TE20 Ferguson (1948 I believe). Back in 2020 the left real axle started leaking. Got some parts and thought I fixed it. Last year 2023 , it started leaking again. This time I ordered all the parts (gaskets, outer seal, inner seal, bearing retainer collar, new transmission fluid, new brake liner replacement kit plus rivet tool) assumed the bearing was fine. Pulled the shaft, stripped all the parts, cleaned and reassembled. It had one shim, so I put back one shim. When turning the axle the opposite side didn't move, I thought ok, at least the two shafts aren't touching, only used the one shim. Removed the old brake linings and installed the new. While attempting the burn-in the new pads (engine running, tractor still blocked, tires off, engine running in second gear) just putting my hand on the brake drum stopped the shaft. What did I do wrong? Should that happen? Tried 1st gear, 3rd gear, reverse I could still stop it, either shaft. Oh, I also replace the PTO seal while I had the trans fluid out. Any idea what could be wrong???? Beside the leaks and slight lost of braking do to the soaked brake pads the tractor ran fine before I started the repair.

Hello LDO welcome to YT! I assume the tractor is jacked up with both wheels off because you say “I could still stop it, either shaft” I am guessing what is happening is through the differential when you stop one side you are just increasing the speed of the opposite by double. That is how differentials work. If this is not the case something has fallen apart in your differential. Not knowing those tractors I am looking at a repair manual for these and the way it is made that does not seem to likely.
FYI, under the Manufacturers section there is a YT forum dedicated to your type of tractor, Harry Ferguson is the manufacturer.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back