There any Hobart experts out there?

Fritz Maurer

My old 100 amp Century wire feed went down recently, so I borrowed a Hobart Handler 175 that was sitting unused in a barn for a few years.
Im running 023 wire with 80/20 mix. The problem is although it lays a nice bead, it’s a very high hump when test welding on flat surfaces. This is a pain when trying to do precision work like welding a 3/8” nut to a plate.
On my Century, I could reduce the hump by turning the amps up, in some cases dang near flat depending on the thickness of the base metal. Doing the same thing with the Hobart results in porosity and burning and just an unusable mess. I have the cu. ft./hr. cranked up against the red zone but the metal just burns in the upper two ranges. New wire, contact tip, diffuser, and free flow of gas. It does have a Miller whip, however.
One thing it does that I find odd is that it never attains a steady welding buzz that the Century, and my larger LN-25 would do when everything was clean and perfect… sounds more like stick rod. The point being, I never heard another small mig noise in the 42 years I’ve had the Century, so I don’t know if it’s me or the welder. It seems like a nice machine, would consider buying it if I can figure it out.
Any advice would be appreciated very much. Thanks, Fritz

My old 100 amp Century wire feed went down recently, so I borrowed a Hobart Handler 175 that was sitting unused in a barn for a few years.
Im running 023 wire with 80/20 mix. The problem is although it lays a nice bead, it’s a very high hump when test welding on flat surfaces. This is a pain when trying to do precision work like welding a 3/8” nut to a plate.
On my Century, I could reduce the hump by turning the amps up, in some cases dang near flat depending on the thickness of the base metal. Doing the same thing with the Hobart results in porosity and burning and just an unusable mess. I have the cu. ft./hr. cranked up against the red zone but the metal just burns in the upper two ranges. New wire, contact tip, diffuser, and free flow of gas. It does have a Miller whip, however.
One thing it does that I find odd is that it never attains a steady welding buzz that the Century, and my larger LN-25 would do when everything was clean and perfect… sounds more like stick rod. The point being, I never heard another small mig noise in the 42 years I’ve had the Century, so I don’t know if it’s me or the welder. It seems like a nice machine, would consider buying it if I can figure it out.
Can you run larger wire? My chart sez .023 is only good to 18ga.

Can you run larger wire? My chart sez .023 is only good to 18ga.
It had a roll of .035 in it but part of my work is rebuilding old mower decks and sometimes must “spill” the weld from the patch to the thin part… if the wire is too big, too much heat is required and you’ll chase that hole halfway across the deck. I did discover that the Hobart will fill a rot hole way easier than the Century.

Is the polarity hooked up wright for using gas.

My Hobart the leeds to switch are wright by the drive rollers with instructions on how to hook up for gas and gas less
Holy **** it IS backwards! A cute little chart inside and everything! I can’t wait to try it this afternoon!
IMG_0704.jpeg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back