Todays funny

jon f mn

1000003919.jpg

Have a cow that is due, not planned this way. She had a calf one time where she nursed it, the other four times, she wouldn't let the calf nurse nor allow someone to milk her out. This resulted in her getting mastitis, treatment was unsuccessful, and two vets performed a mastectomy on her. We save colostrum from other cows and have it frozen awaiting the calf. She has good breeding and is built like a box car, and produces a beautiful calf, so we continue with this craziness. The temperature has been in the single digits so we check on her every few hours, even at night.

I grew up on a Holstein dairy farm. I’ve got lots of childhood memories, not all of them good. 😎 Along with the official numbered identifications, mom had a name for each and every cow. Most of them were your ordinary lady names. Katy, Carla, Tina, Molly and the like. I do remember one cow that must’ve had 75% deer genetics. As in, this cow could clear any fence ever made and she’d do it with grace also. If she absolutely wanted out, she could get out. Mom appropriately named her “Trouble”. Trouble gave enough milk to be profitable, but Trouble gave us lots of headaches. Trouble finally retired and got put out to pasture (so to speak), but gave us a nice replacement heifer calf in the mean time. That calf grew into the replacement size and when she was put in with the other milk cows, she decided it wasn’t for her and promptly cleared the fence just like her mother used to. My mom wasn’t going to put up with that again. She told my dad to immediately sell that cow, which he did.

Sheep are just born looking for a place to die. Never saw anybody that didn't have a bout twice the trouble with them as we had with cattle.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back