Trouble with loader hydraulic valve

My old Workbull 202 has been a good tractor but, today, I must have broken something in the hydraulics. I was digging in a pile of wood chips and on one pass the bucket went down but when I went to lift it again nothing happened. The lift handle was just loose and would go down and raise the front wheels off the ground but would no longer lift the blade off the ground so I could drive the tractor. In the photo it is the lever on the left. The spool goes up but will no longer go back down into the valve body. Sounds like metal to metal when I work the lever. I assume I need to take this off and have it rebuilt I really don't know where to begin so I appreciate any suggestions.

The valve body is marked AICO A5A-44R. I know it's obsolete but I hope to find a used one. If the spools or a rebuild kit were available I could have this rebuilt but they don't seem available anywhere. Anyone know of a source?
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG

Thanks, JIM

My old Workbull 202 has been a good tractor but, today, I must have broken something in the hydraulics. I was digging in a pile of wood chips and on one pass the bucket went down but when I went to lift it again nothing happened. The lift handle was just loose and would go down and raise the front wheels off the ground but would no longer lift the blade off the ground so I could drive the tractor. In the photo it is the lever on the left. The spool goes up but will no longer go back down into the valve body. Sounds like metal to metal when I work the lever. I assume I need to take this off and have it rebuilt I really don't know where to begin so I appreciate any suggestions.

The valve body is marked AICO A5A-44R. I know it's obsolete but I hope to find a used one. If the spools or a rebuild kit were available I could have this rebuilt but they don't seem available anywhere. Anyone know of a source?
View attachment 65416View attachment 65416
Thanks, JIM
You can pull it apart and if you are lucky, the centering assembly on that spool might have come off the end of the spool.

As for replacing spools. Most valves, especially of that vintage, did not have replaceable spools, they were fitted to the bore in the valve body. So, I would say the thought of replacing a spool is out. It is likely you won't find a kit either. It likely only has a few O-rings, which you can match up at a hydraulic shop or equipment dealer. I would stay away from the hardware store pull drawers.

If the tractor and loader are in good condition and you plan on keeping it long term it might be to consider up grading to a new valve. It will take some fabrication as I believe the valve's return to reservoir port is through the mount to the loader frame.

Thanks, Jim, Yes, it does look like the oil reservoir is in the frame. I can't even figure out where to check the fluid level or add any.? That thing in the upper right corner of the photo is loose like a vent cap. Maybe I must unscrew that? I certainly cannot find a dipstick anywhere.

My local hydraulic repair shop has a place they can send it if I take it off but that looks like quite a project. I assume the fittings are all pipe thread so I can plug and cap all the lines once I get the valve off?

Thanks, Jim, Yes, it does look like the oil reservoir is in the frame. I can't even figure out where to check the fluid level or add any.? That thing in the upper right corner of the photo is loose like a vent cap. Maybe I must unscrew that? I certainly cannot find a dipstick anywhere.

My local hydraulic repair shop has a place they can send it if I take it off but that looks like quite a project. I assume the fittings are all pipe thread so I can plug and cap all the lines once I get the valve off?
The vent cap unscrews and there is a dip stick connected to it for checking the oil level.

There should/might be a small pipe plug screwed into the fluid reservoir, which is the loader frame, about halfway up the side below the valve body.

When filling the reservoir, remove that plug, when fluid comes out it is full. I made up a short curved pipe to screw in while filling so any overflow can be caught in a bucket,etc. Do this with all cylinders retracted.

Mine has the vented cap to fill it but has no dipstick on the cap.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back