Truck project done

jon f mn

Had the day off today so decided to finish a project I started with my truck. This is what it looked like when I got it.

cvphoto165872.jpg

As you can see, the wheels are almost centered on the bed, they are actually 2 inches behind center. Plus the box holds way more than the truck can haul. Previous owners had put a divider in about 3 ft from the rear to hold the grain forward that was a foot off the floor, but that was a pain. I had a few ideas on how to fix it, one was to stretch the frame so the wheels were back further. Another was to add a tag axle to the rear. But both those ideas would cost more than I could afford right now and take too much time. So I decided to shorten the box. That would put the axle where it should be and reduce the load to what the truck can actually haul. So Sunday I got done early with what I was doing so I started this project. I started by cutting the rear beam off the bed, then cut 2ft off all the parts.

cvphoto165873.jpg

cvphoto165874.jpg

Today I did the clean up and welded the rear beam and other parts on. This is the finished project.

cvphoto165875.jpg

Should still hold 300bu or so and that's all I need. My dryer holds about that much, so one load should fill it and get one batch to town as well. Now I need to paint it, I think flambaou and desert sunset would be sharp.

Just pulled the manifold t replace gaskets. Also need to fix the fuel tank and hydraulic valve.

I would have just loaded to the front and not filled it completely full and problem solved with less work. My brother has a problem of if there is room it should be filled to the brim. IT has taken me 10 years to get him to understand the tickets are not worth the load on the semi hauling grain to the elevator. I can haul enough that the fines would be cheaper to let them keep the truck. With 3 axles on trailer and 3 on truck I'm good for around 85,000 gross and it will hold in excess of That much just in the box plus the 42,000 of truck weight so a total of around 126,000 if I had 3 lift axles on the trailer. Then the empty weight would also go up about 4500 for the 3 axles.

Looks good Jon. Im not sue why they would have ever set that truck up like that in the first place...

I did the same thing to this one. Originally it was an 18' bed with a liftgate. I built the sides and added a hoist. I also built a tailgate that folds down and I didn't want it dragging the ground when dumping. I cut about a foot off the bed.
cvphoto165908.jpg

The dealers of yesterday, didnt know nothing about what wheel base the truck should be, for a certain length box !!!!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back