trying to change fuel shut off cable 2910 ford

Brad2023

I am trying to change the fuel shut off cable on ford 2910 tractor. I thought maybe i could change it without taking top off i can get my hand in there but not a tool. So I have to take the top off, i have all the bolts out but the only thing keeping me from going any higher is the bottom of the fuel lever, its barely hitting the metal on the side. I took nut off bottom and it raises some but stops so i can get it high enough to get under there to change it. Im scared to mess with anything else until i know what i can take off without messing anything up. I will post pictures hopefully this helps. one pic is fuel lever i need to come up to get the top off and other picture where the arrow is that flat peice of metal is barely touching and wont go up any further. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 420516377_369190749212488_8174151513542821785_n.jpg
    420516377_369190749212488_8174151513542821785_n.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 423686826_260002673819733_8760658670682392991_n.jpg
    423686826_260002673819733_8760658670682392991_n.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 19
Ok, I hope I can explain this. Picture #2, The piece that you have the arrow pointing to is actually a clamp, there is a through bolt on the back side(you can see the nut on the right rear. The shaft is notched to allow the bolt to index the clamp. Remove that bolt, and the throttle shaft should move up, Just a note; If you remove the light switch, you should be able to reach the cable housing nut, without lifting the dash housing.

Ok, I hope I can explain this. Picture #2, The piece that you have the arrow pointing to is actually a clamp, there is a through bolt on the back side(you can see the nut on the right rear. The shaft is notched to allow the bolt to index the clamp. Remove that bolt, and the throttle shaft should move up, Just a note; If you remove the light switch, you should be able to reach the cable housing nut, without lifting the dash housing.
thank you i was looking at that bolt thinking that has to be the only thing left that is holding it but i was scared to mess with it. I also thought about taking light switch off but i couldnt get the front side to turn the tractor is about 40 years old and none of this has ever been changed, i tried turning the front part with a cresent wrench and nothing was happening. My plans in the beginning was to just reach my hand up there but even the part i need to take off looks prettty rusty but yea if i could get the light switch off i could get a tool up there since i have everything off but that one part i guess ill take the whole thing off
im disabled so i can sit or stand long and very hard to look up or down plus the horrible mosquitoes makes it a job but thanks for letting me know that clamp bolt can come off i starred at it for awhile thinking that can only be whats left holding it but i couldnt see around it to be sure

thanks ill be message back rather i get it or dont get it

ok i got that off and was able to pull it up but then my steering wheel wont come off we tried a puller but its not moving. So i finally got the light switch off and i got the new cable hooked up. its a little long but i cant work with that i did cut some of it off but still long but problem im having now is putting that bolt back in where it clamps, its slid right out when i took it off but now i cant get it to go through there....nothing seems to move for me to be able to wiggle it through and that front bar is keeping me from being able to hammer it in.

Any suggestions on how to get that bolt back in there for the clamp?

ok i got that off and was able to pull it up but then my steering wheel wont come off we tried a puller but its not moving. So i finally got the light switch off and i got the new cable hooked up. its a little long but i cant work with that i did cut some of it off but still long but problem im having now is putting that bolt back in where it clamps, its slid right out when i took it off but now i cant get it to go through there....nothing seems to move for me to be able to wiggle it through and that front bar is keeping me from being able to hammer it in.

Any suggestions on how to get that bolt back in there for the clamp?

You just have to get it to line up with the notch in the back of the throttle shaft, just takes a little patience. I've done many of them.

You happen to have a die grinder or a Dremel? Just cut the back off the old cable behind the knob and push it out to the front. Mask it off with tape and go slow a bit at a time if you don’t want to burn the paint. Slide your new one in and tight down. Game over! I am just guessing you might have adequate clearance to tighten it. You just can’t get in there to really muscle it to remove the rusty nut on the old one.

You just have to get it to line up with the notch in the back of the throttle shaft, just takes a little patience. I've done many of them.
ok i finally got it after punching, kicking, hammering and running into it with truck a few times. I didnt think it moved so i tried to just hammer bolt back through back it wasnt happening. Then I moved the housing i guess you call it down some and then it moved and i seen the groove at first i was like there is no groove here but i finally found it. for being disabled not being able to sit long or bend next that was a challenge esp only being able to use cresent wrench to tighten things back up it was a slow process.
I have a small leak at bottom of steering wheel, the last freeze we had i guess messed it up cause oil has a little water in it so now a little oil leaks out the top of steering wheel so if i wanted to change that id have to take all that stuff back off again. only problem is we cant get steering wheel off we tried them pullers but it wont come off so hopefully it dont get to bad so i dont have to fight with that anytime soon. Im just glad i got it.

only thing is the cable is to long i ordered it from this website with correct info it said it was 60 in long i should have measured the old one first its around 44 in long. I can pull to turn it off but with all the slack its kinda hard to pull i cut off as much as i could i dunno if i can tie it up to make it pull better or just but one not as long.

I ended up taking the old one out and put the new one where the light switch goes it was broke anyways so i just put it there. thanks so much for helping me out.

You happen to have a die grinder or a Dremel? Just cut the back off the old cable behind the knob and push it out to the front. Mask it off with tape and go slow a bit at a time if you don’t want to burn the paint. Slide your new one in and tight down. Game over! I am just guessing you might have adequate clearance to tighten it. You just can’t get in there to really muscle it to remove the rusty nut on the old one.
i think i use to have a dremel i was about ready to grind it off but i got the light switch off and just put it there. the light switch didnt work anymore anyways. only thing is cable is longer than it needs to be but if i get a smaller one im not taking all the junk off im just gonna put my hand up there. now that its where the light switch is i think i can put hand and a cresent wrench up there to change it. They should make that easier to get to lol

You can shorten it with a diagonal cutting pliers(dikes/side cutter). Disconnect it and pull the knob out about 8” - 10” just so it a fair bit more than it normally pulls out when you stop it. Cut the entire cable off at the correct length at the housing mount on the pump. Push the knob in about an inch. Pull the wire back through on the pump end with a pliers if needed and guide into the cable stop on the pump stop lever. Adjust it a cut off any extra wire.

Don’t cut up you steering wheel
I’ve changed out a number of fuel stops with the panel in place
Remove the light switch and you will be able to get a wrench on the cable
Light switch will have a push pin or Allen head screw holding it to the shaft, but hold the light switch is on the outside

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back