Tuesday Extra

Majorman

cvphoto120895.jpg

Tuesday Extra

When I first got here I bought a used hammermill with a pulley for a belt. A very senior neighbor (insider to the community) had half a dozed B JDs and some belts. I wanted to grind up corn stalks. I was his neighborhood newbie and his whipping boy....he had more fun teasing me while teaching me about farming......and in that process there was the half breed Holstein. My kids named her Butter cup because her milk had an abnormally high cream content....probably due to her ancestry explained later.

She was the result of one of his neighbor's dairy cows being visited by another neighbor's fence jumping (destroying) white face bull.....problem with her going to a dairy sale was that her spiggots were only about 2 long and useless for an automated milker.....but my fingers fit them just fine......another story about that cow and the fun he had with it with me.

On the day of the grind, he is over at the crack of dawn ready to go. Tractor was at least 20' from the hammermill. He got the popper to poppin and the mill came to life. I'd throw a bundle of stalks in the hopper and the old B would grunt and pop its way back to set rpms.

When finished i thanked him and in the conversation he mentioned that there is a very high kinetic energy content in that moving belt and that is what makes the tractor PTO driven hammermill so successful. Interesting and the reason for my comments here.

Looks like a McCormick Deering 10-20 ot 15-30. Note the diameter of the tractor pulley according to the belt spacing-must have been a low rpm pulley. I would like to see that thing it is driving....bundles qued up and square bales out back! An enclosed wooden looking structure around some very dusty, fire prone activity!

I enjoyed the puzzle, thanks. Leo

My Case L had a large and small pulley. If the belt job at hand didn't need much power you used large pulley and ran tractor at reduced throttle thereby using less fuel. Farmers didn't like having to by fuel for their power source. There was no expense with the horse. Just go to the oats bin and dip out a pail full then up in the hay mow and pitch down some hay. Water from the windmill was free.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back