WD9 no fuel to Cylinders 1 and 3

primerk5

I'm working on the WD9 tonight and I found the rack was stuck in the pump. I got the rack loose and working properly and fired it up again to switch it to diesel. This time I got some success as it switched over reasonably well as it ran on the diesel the first time since I got it. It was RPM hunting though and sounded as though it was probably missing. I loosened the lines on the injectors and found the engine would about die on 2 and 4 and fuel was coming out of them but cylinders 1 and 3 had no change when I cracked the lines and no fuel except for one time where I had some fuel pressure on 1 until I loosened the line and then fuel shot out and I had no pressure again.

I'm not familiar with these pumps as of yet and am just reading what I can find on the net. I'm guessing I have a plunger or something stuck and I'm not able to find what I need to do to try to free it up like I did with the rack.

Any help with what is going on and how to resolve it without sending the pump out would be great.

first thing first, what is your experience on these engines. is there any fuel shooting out on 1 and 3 , the same as 2 and 4 ? if not
then i would say the plungers are stuck on 1 and 4. how did you free the rack ?

first thing first, what is your experience on these engines. is there any fuel shooting out on 1 and 3 , the same as 2 and 4 ? if not
then i would say the plungers are stuck on 1 and 4. how did you free the rack ?

Pump has one plunger that feeds the cam operated distributor block, plunger is NOT stuck but trouble is in the distributor block/cam area if it runs at all.

(quoted from post at 19:34:25 08/21/23) first thing first, what is your experience on these engines.
First one I worked on myself. I have run and worked on the fuel system for on a few and I understand the starting/switch over mechanics of the engine. I have yet to go into the actual injection pump as of yet. I've been looking at this and the red power forums for as much info as possible before going to far into things which is how I learned to free the rack up. After getting it running yesterday and basically determining I had a potential fuel issue

(quoted from post at 19:34:25 08/21/23)is there any fuel shooting out on 1 and 3 , the same as 2 and 4 ? if not then i would say the plungers are stuck on 1 and 4.

As I said I have no fuel at 1 and 3. I did have fuel briefly on 1 at one point but when I cracked open the fitting on the injector for cylinder one to double check it, fuel shot out for a sec and then stopped. 2 and 4 has good spray and it about dies when I crack those lines.

(quoted from post at 19:34:25 08/21/23)how did you free the rack ?

I freed the rack with a light pull of a screwdriver. It really didn't take much effort at all. I sprayed it with some penetrating fluid and worked it back and forth with the lever until it moved with no resistance. I'm going to have to drain out the injection pump as the seal in the transfer pump is leaking. I'll be to replace that but I wanted to wait till I solved this issue first.

(quoted from post at 05:01:33 08/22/23) Pump has one plunger that feeds the cam operated distributor block, plunger is NOT stuck but trouble is in the distributor block/cam area if it runs at all.

It's most definitely running on diesel. I'm just missing fuel from two cylinders so it's running on the other 2 when I switch it. I was under the impression there were separate plungers on these style Injection pumps but I haven't found a exploded diagram or pictures yet which is why I'm asking. This is an A pump if that helps at all. What could be wrong with the distributor to cause it to not fuel two cylinders?

here u go.
cvphoto161511.jpg

cvphoto161512.jpg

i dont know how to turn the photo though.

(quoted from post at 08:11:41 08/22/23) Send me an email, I will help you access more
information.

I'll be honest I don't know how to find your email. It's not listed under your username and I don't see it in any previous post.

(quoted from post at 08:07:51 08/22/23) here u go.
i dont know how to turn the photo though.

That's great that really helps! I was looking at pictures in the following link but it didn't really break down the lower section so I could not see the Cam.

https://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/topic/83499-td-9-injection-pump-help/

At this point I'm guessing I need to pull the Distributor Block to see what is going on there since it's obviously getting fuel to the other cylinders the issue must be in that or the lines. I'll pull the lines loose tonight and check them.

(quoted from post at 08:53:32 08/22/23) and the manual is worth more than the wd9 .

LOL I bet!

I would loosen the line at the top of the pump to see if there is fuel for 1&3 then if no fuel it is in the pump IF fuel then it has just about got to be a stuck injector. If no fuel in the line bottom then the plunger for that cylinder is suspect and needs looking at or even maybe with the side open you could with great care gently pry it up with a screw driver slightly as the cam tries to lift it or push it down so the cam can lift it. I would actually believe it is stuck in the up position and needs to be pushed down to work it loose and it not supplying fuel to the cylinder.

When you are logged in at least on ..Modern View.. for
sure there will be a button that is shown in the bottom
of my reply box. The email is called Safe Mail and a
little form will pop up for you to fill out. I think if you
just fill in your name and an email address that is all
that is required anything else is optional.

I found stuck valves in the distributor block. I made a tool to get the hex things out of the bottom. Any suggestions on how to get the guides to come out? Everything is stuck.

(quoted from post at 17:41:58 08/24/23) I found stuck valves in the distributor block. I made a tool to get the hex things out of the bottom. Any suggestions on how to get the guides to come out? Everything is stuck.

Nevermind with a little bit of effort I got them out.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back