Miscellaneous
Picture List
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Kountry Life
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Yesterday's Trucks Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

Oliver 1850 Oil Specifications

Post new topic    Yesterday's Trucks Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nate88

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Oliver 1850 Oil Specifications Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just bought an 1850 with 310 gasoline engine that has been sitting for some time. First thing I would like to do is change all the oils. What type of oil is specified for the 310 gas engine? Also what type of oil do I put in the hydrapower? I assume the transmission would be a gear lube, like 80W90 spec. Do these tractors have a seperate hydraulic reservoir or do they use the transmission case as the reservoir, in which case the oil specification would be different. Thanks.

Bob M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 1850 Oil Specifications Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nate - I recall the original engine spec calls for #30 engine oil above 32 deg and 10W for lower temperatures. However we've run 10W30 in our 1850 for 25 - 30 years in temps ranging from -10 to 95 deg with no problems whatsoever.

15W40 is also OK if that's what you already use in your other equipment.

The other fluids...
- Hydrapower: ATF (Dexron or equivalent)
- Transmission: 80W90 gear oil
- Hydraulic reservoir: Any good hydraulic fluid. (The hydraulic reservoir fill cap/dipstick is located on the deck directly ahead of the seat frame)

----

The 1850G is a good old horse. It's kinda thirsty for gas but is otherwise a great tractor. Enjoy using yours!

Nate88

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 1850 Oil Specifications Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. I was assuming 10W30 would be good choice for that being a gas engine. I'm just hoping the engine isn't stuck. Its been sitting for about a year, according to the owner, with no cap on the exhaust manifold. I checked the oil and besides being dirty it was full. I've heard those big gassers are thristy and I would like to change out for a diesel if I get a chance and want a good project. The 310 diesel should be a drop in replacement. I'm also considering other engine options, like Deere(lots of 329 engines in old combines, but not sure how hard the swap would be) or Cummins (have to change to a Perkins tub). But for the time being I'll stick with the gasser. Thanks.

mmidlam

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 1850 Oil Specifications Reply to specific post Reply with quote

we use to use 10w30 but have now gone to 15w40. read that the zinc antiwear compound has been reduce in 10w30 to keep from poisoning the cat converter on newer cars.Some older engines are wearing out the camshafts because of the lower zinc compound. 15w40 still has the higher level needed by diesels.

J Schwiebert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 1850 Oil Specifications Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back in the day when they were new you were to run a Series 3 diesel oil in the gas engines. They have a little higher ring belt temperature than the avarage gas engine. Of ourse this is a few years later and oils have changed. The key is the API numbers (letters) on the oil can. I would need to get my references out and see what all that has crossed over to into today's oils.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Trucks Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1