Miscellaneous
Picture List
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Kountry Life
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Yesterday's Trucks Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

round balers / HP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt S Illinois
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: round balers / HP Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there somewhere to find what Tractor HP it takes to run certian balers? Like Vermeer, JD and New holland? I have a 60Hp tractor didn't know if the thing was big enough to run a round baler.
Thanks
Matt

MNfarmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: round balers / HP Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Matt,

I've pulled my 435 JD round baler with a 2555 John Deere tractor. (I did some baling for a neighbor and used his tractor.) It pulled it good and it made good tight bales. I have a 2955 and about the only difference is I can go a lot faster. 60HP should be able to pull most round balers, just might not break any speed records. Good luck!

keh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: round balers / HP Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Should pull 4 x 5 balers fine, probably 5 x 5 also. 5 x 6 balers would be doubtful. When you find a baler you are interested in, call dealer and ask about hp. If no joy from dealer, call manufacturer.

KEH

thurlow
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: round balers / HP Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Neighbor pulled a 605C for a lot of years with a 5000 Dorf........on mostly flatland. Wouldn't wanna do it on much of a hill.

M Nut
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: round balers / HP Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Seems to depend on the baler.... I had a 5x6 Heston that we ran for 20 years with a 60hp gas, and even a 55hp on occasion with no trouble. Bought a 5x5 Vermeer and that same 60hp gas was wide open and really struggling. Went up to a 90hp diesel and that works much better.

tjdub
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: round balers / HP Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I probably wouldn't run a modern 6ft baler on a 60hp tractor. My neighbor used an old Vermeer 605c (6ft x 5ft bale) with an IH 656 (60hp) for years without trouble. However, I think newer balers tend to take a bit more PTO power because of the better hay compression they offer. You might be able to get away with it, but you would probably be happier with a baler that makes a 5ft bale.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: round balers / HP Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As per the manual a NH850 needs a tractor 55-75HP to run it. I pull my 850 with an Oliver Super88 and it is rated at 55HP and it plays with it

gac
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: round balers / HP Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We pull a Vermeer 504G with an IH 784 (67 hp). Only time it really seems to work is on a hill with close to a full bale.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: round balers / HP Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hills, flat ground, clay, loam or sand? Wet, damp or dry? Is the tractor 2WD or 4WD? Are the tires bias or radials? Size or baler? Loader on the tractor?
The answer could run from 40 to 125HP.

dboll

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: round balers / HP Reply to specific post Reply with quote

vermeer 605 super F book says 60 -70hp , I run mine with a 1070 case and I don't consider 100 hp overkill

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: round balers / HP Reply to specific post Reply with quote

3X3 dry bales or 4X6 bagged silage?

Matt S Illinois
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: round balers / HP Reply to specific post Reply with quote

PRetty much flat for the most part. Tractor is a 695 Case IH front assit with a loader. Timber soil Not sure about tires or baler size. Don't have one yet but looking at them not really wanting to get another tractor just yet. Wife says the two I have is enough.
Thanks

Hay Dr
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: round balers / HP Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A Vermeer 504 I, Super I, 5400 Rebel, 5410 Rebel need 40 PTO HP. A 504 F,G & H need 45 HP if they are in stock condition. They can be regeared to be run on a 40 HP tractor. The Vermeer 504 L & XL take 45 HP for dry hay.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Trucks Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1