Miscellaneous
Picture List
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Kountry Life
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Yesterday's Trucks Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

12 ft. discs - how many HP needed?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Trucks Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris VdV
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: 12 ft. discs - how many HP needed? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am looking at a set of 12ft. Oliver discs at $600. Good condition.
My question is will my 550 and/or 1265 be sufficient HP to draw that? I am planning on converting some longtime grassland into vegetable beds. Bear in mind I am a newbie part-time 'farmer'.

http://www.agdealer.com/list/view_image.cfm?ID=302401&SearchID=39809142&startrow=21&Act=EQUIPVIEW&listpage=index.cfm

Jeff Oliver
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 ft. discs - how many HP needed? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They might but I think with those tractors you would be better off with like a 8ft or so. Depending on how aggressive you want to disk but a 12 ft is a pretty big disk for the 550, not sure about the other one

MapleSprings
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 ft. discs - how many HP needed? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, I have a 10' Oliver disc that I use with my 1650D in fairly
light soil.

It seems to me to be plenty of drag: not because of pure power
but because in plowed or otherwise tilled soil in my vegetable
operation there's enough resistance that I lose traction rather
easily. I have two sets of wheel weights but fairly narrow tires:
15.5 -38,

I have a friend with a 1265 and I don't think his tractor has any
more traction than mine.

If you have other choices for discs, I'd consider something
smaller. If not, you can probably make it work.

Mark

Chris VdV
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 ft. discs - Cletrac E38 or OC3?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks for the advice. Actually my '1265' is a 1255 - Embarassed sorry...so even less power. The 550 is a diesel.
Hmmm looks like I need to keep looking!
Or maybe my OC3 would pull it or how about a Cletrac E38?? Weren't they used for plowing and such? Question

gordey
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 ft. discs - how many HP needed? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have a 7.5 foot Oliver 3pt disc and it works perfect behind the 550, the 1255 would be good with a 10 foot.

J. Schwiebert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 ft. discs - how many HP needed? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just how many acres are we talking here? If just a few make several passes and you will get enough loose dirt. I think your biggest problem is going to be traction. Another thing if you have just a few acres find a friend and a log chain and hook the 2 tractors together. I remember the first 1800 diesel we sold almost 50 years ago. He though his new 1800 and a 12 foot were a good match. In the same token the boy has a 24 foor disk. We have pulled it with a 95 horsepower tractor (has dual wheels)if it is not the first time over and his pardner wanted to rip up a couple acrs of old clover the other year and they had a 175 horse power in front and it was a load. Traction can be more of a problem then horsepower.

allen.beranek1@verizon.ne

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 ft. discs - how many HP needed? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Chris, I would say a 12 ft. disk is way too large for a 550. I have a 10 ft disk and use my oliver 770 to disk the garden. But it doesn't have enough traction to drop the disk all the way down in soft ground. An 8 ft might be a better choice. Al

VADAVE
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: 12 ft. discs - how many HP needed? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The rule of thumb I was given is 5hp per foot of width.
So a 12 foot disc will require 60 DRAWBAR horses.

Mike (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 12 ft. discs - how many HP needed? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used to pull a 10 foot with a 1550, then got a 12 foot disc and it was too much. Had an 880 diesel, it would pull the 12 foot, but it made 'er sing. Have a 550D, and you need to be at 7 or 8 feet width for it. Traction becomes a bigger problem than power with the small utility type tractor- There's nothing like 38" tires to pull tillage equipment with.

My experience is you want a disc that you can pull "smartly", to get maximum action. If you're struggling just to pull it slowly, it will take more passes ($$$).

J.Mash
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 ft. discs - how many HP needed? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We use a 7'and a 8'foot disc with our 550's. Makes them a good load when set to full cut. Thats with wheel weights and loaded tires. Like J said its more of a traction issue than horsepower.

wmthrower
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: 12 ft. discs - how many HP needed? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Chris,

Good luck trying to find a good smaller disk around here. Especially an Oliver. I've seen a lot of the new smaller disks but don't think too much of them. Pretty light duty in my opinion.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Trucks Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1