Miscellaneous
Picture List
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Kountry Life
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Yesterday's Trucks Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

Pierce belt driven governor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Pierce belt driven governor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pierce only sells through distributors.

Gillmore-Global here in Houston said the price for the universal belt driven model was $241.11.

How does that compare to a rebuilt stock 8N governor? Does anyone make new ones for the N series?

Brian Bell
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Pierce belt driven governor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This site has new governors for 257.49...not much difference.

MikeT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Pierce belt driven governor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Found these on the internet at Surplus Center. Heck of a deal if they'd work.
Pierce Governors

Ken(Ark)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Pierce belt driven governor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like it would work if you put a 3" to 3.5" pulley on it to bring the 3,000 to 3,600 rpm range to a usable 2,000 to 2,500 rpm .

I guess a guy could play around with the pulleys to get the rpm to match the use .

MikeT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pierce belt driven governor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just got email from Paul Cunningham of the Pierce Company. He designed that governor. Said it was made for a Toro Groundsmaster 72 lawn mower, with a Renaut engine.

KCM

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Pierce belt driven governor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The governor from Surplus Center is designed to run the engine at a fixed wide open speed, not variable. To convert, you would need to add another lever connected to the hand throttle and move the spring between that lever and the lever on the governor. Looks like a flyweight governor, and if so, might require shaving some weight off the internal weights to reduce the pull on the arm so that your hand throttle can open it wide open. Or use a larger pulley. Would definitely take some tinkering.

If you decide to install another style governor, let me know as I might be interested in the worn one you took off.

KCM

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Pierce belt driven governor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

kcmiller.ne@netzero.net

DON TX
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierce belt driven governor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JSmith has a rebuilt for 125. HTH
DON TX

Ken(Ark)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierce belt driven governor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I haven't put too much thought into it , but you could probably have the governer pull a spring instead of a solid rod and do this and that with rods and springs to get it to work right . But you are right that it probably won't be just a simple bolt up and go.

For the price I will probably try to make one work instead of building a foot feed . If I was twenty years old again I might try the hand throttle cuz if you didn't die you could alway brush it off and walk away . Now I think I would just lie there till one of the kids came by with a wheel barrow to haul me home , LOL .

ZANE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierce belt driven governor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ever see the governor on an old Briggs small engine? It is nothing but a blade that is pushed by the air from the flywheel air and a spring to pull it against the air stream.

I once had a big circle sawmill that I was driving with the drive shaft out the back of a Ford dump truck with a long jack shaft. At first I had a hand throttle to throttle it up when it went under load but I could never control it very good. I got to thinking about the Briggs air governor and shut the mill down and made a governor out of an old car tag and a coat hanger bent to make the mounting bracket and to let the tag pivot on another piece of coat hanger. Then I attached a spring to the tag about two inches from where it was hinged and then the throtte rod to the tag at about the same place. Worked like a charm and never had any more problems with the engine slowing or overspeeding when sawing.

Poor man's governor!

Zane

wvfarmerboy
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierce belt driven governor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ZANE wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:12:16 10/31/07) Ever see the governor on an old Briggs small engine? It is nothing but a blade that is pushed by the air from the flywheel air and a spring to pull it against the air stream.

I once had a big circle sawmill that I was driving with the drive shaft out the back of a Ford dump truck with a long jack shaft. At first I had a hand throttle to throttle it up when it went under load but I could never control it very good. I got to thinking about the Briggs air governor and shut the mill down and made a governor out of an old car tag and a coat hanger bent to make the mounting bracket and to let the tag pivot on another piece of coat hanger. Then I attached a spring to the tag about two inches from where it was hinged and then the throtte rod to the tag at about the same place. Worked like a charm and never had any more problems with the engine slowing or overspeeding when sawing.

Poor man's governor!

Zane

Zane, could you share some additional details or possibly make a sketch. I've "kinda" got an idea of what you're referring to. Or you could just shoot me an e-mail if you'd rather. I'm looking to build one for the same application. Thanks

Post new topic    Yesterday's Trucks Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1