Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

MF 35 - Need plow advice

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferrite_man
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: MF 35 - Need plow advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What size plow would you recommend for a MF 35 - Diesel.
I am new to tractors, so # of bottoms and size of plow. Even a model number would be handy.

Also, how deep should I expect a plow to run?

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: MF 35 - Need plow advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ferrite:

Sizing a plow depends mostly upon your ground. Other factors that will affect your choice to a lesser extent include the condition of your draft control system and tires and any added ballast, e.g., wheel weights and/or loaded tires.

Your 35 is commonly known as a "three plow" tractor and will pull a 3x12" or even a 3x14" plow in good conditions.

That said, I have owned two MF-35 diesels and have ground where either would handle 3 12s but other ground where either would struggle mightly with 2 14s.

Unless you have very good ground, I would suggest a 2x14 or 2x12. These are also easier to find.

You should be able to plow 10" deep in decent conditions.

Dean

richardinnz
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 35 - Need plow advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They will handle a 2 furrow plough in almost any conditions, 3 furrows in moderate to easy going. Depth of ploughing will depend on local conditions, around here about 8" then the clay is coming up, 4 miles down the road 5" to 6" is the limit, 4 miles the other way you can practically bury the plough and not see any clay, you will need to experiment to find your optimum ploughing depth, if you can, ask someone who might have worked the ground before.

MF Poor
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 35 - Need plow advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

More commonly than not, a Massey Ferguson 35 would do well with a 2-bottom plow. In SOME conditions they could handle 3, but more normal, just 2. That tractot is 45 to 50 years old too. No sense in pushing it past its limits. If it were mine, I'd look for a 2X12" or 2X14" plow.

Lots of good choices, but some are better than others. My personal favorites are MF#66 (saftey trip, truss frame) MF#43 (saftey trip, box frame, high clearance) OR the old reliable Ford 101. With either of the 3, you'll still be able to find wear parts if you should need them.

135 Fan

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 35 - Need plow advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm curious why you would want a plow? A plow needs to be set up properly and takes some practice. There may be other easier to use implements that might work better for you. Dave

ferrite_man
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: MF 35 - Need plow advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. The soil is sandy, but grows vegetables very well.

Dave

steveormary
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 35 - Need plow advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ferrite man

Your MF35 should handle 2-14's no problem. I started plowing with a TE20 and 2-14's when I was 10. I could run circles around Dads F12 ad his 2-14 trail plow.

steveormary

Fred T. Hart Jr.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 35 - Need plow advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1957 TO-35 and it came with 3-12" plows. Of course the tractor is 50 years young, but it will still pull the plows OK. I always thought placing 3-12" plows behind a TO-35 was expecting alot.

I have used both the 3-12" and 2-14". The 3-12" follow the tractor fine, almost like a trailer, however, I could never get the 2-14" to follow properly. They would hit the dirt then tighten up one of the lift arm chains and keep the chain tight all the time. May have just been that set of plows. The three plows will follow the tractor with both lift arm chains loose.
The 3-12" do a fine job of plowing in ground that was worked the year before.
Just my two cents.

Jeff-oh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 35 - Need plow advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ferguson made a good plow for these tractors. they are often seen on e-bay and run $100 to $250.

Mr. Bob

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 35 - Need plow advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have easy, sandy soil, 3-12's should work fine. If any of your soil is a clayey harder soil, 2-12's or 2-14's would be much better. Myself, I'd go with 2; give the tractor a little "edge" over its load and you'll be ahead in the long run. 8" plow depth is what I usually tried to maintain, pulling 3-16's behind a MF 65 in soils that were both sandy in spots, and tough clay in others. The MF 65 was rated as a 4 plow tractor, but pulling only three was much better for it. By compairson, the MF 65 is a much heavier, more powerful machine than is the 35.
Mr. Bob

oldhousehugger25
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 35 - Need plow advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have an old model 72 Massey 4-14 which I rebuild the points on with scrap lawn mower blades and rebar for the point tips. That said I had to fabricate adapters with longer pins so I could pull it with my Massey 1100 which is a cat 2 setup and the lift arm balls were a half inch to deep for the short cat 1 pins on the plow.
The adaptors worked great but I was still spinning the tires in 2nd low pulling it through hard dry clay if I went over 12 inches deep. Luckily the depth control works OK and that allowed for fairly good results.
The 1100 has twice the HP of a 35 and weighs around 10000 Lbs. Pulling capacity is a factor of weight on the powered tires i.e. traction. Pulling speed is a factor of horse power and weight
Here in central Texas real farmers do not moldboard any more. They use rippers and chisels and 40 foot disc harrows which fold up to drive down the road. I am told though that the good old mold board plow is very useful in killing Johnson grass and other deep rooted perennials. Also these plows are all I have so thatís what we use. Mold board plowing was made (obsolete) by modern herbicides which I detest. So around here I guess I wonít be getting a lot of calls to come and plow, but hey, it takes me back to my youth when I did spring plowing with an old Farmall 350 and 3 bottom flip-over plows that were so heavy they damn near lifted the front end off the ground and you had to steer with the brakes driving down the road because the front end was so light.

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1