Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

IH 444 hydraulic/loader question

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paridgerunner

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: IH 444 hydraulic/loader question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So, not being the mechanic that I wish I was, I need help with my IH 444. This tractor has a IH 2050 loader on it. The other day one of the hose's broke on the loader. I fixed that, however noticed that the hydraulic fluid looked pretty bad and plus I had lost some fliud. I'd like to replace the fluid on this tractor. Can anybody tell me how to do this. I have pretty limited knowledge on hydraulics and for that part working on this tractor. Where to I drain this fluid, fill it, bleed it, etc. or what do I need to do, and what kind of fluid does this tractor take. Any help would be appreciated, probably something that's easy for you guys, but I'm pretty new at working on my tractors, haven't had too many problems with them yet, thanks for your help.

IH2444
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: IH 444 hydraulic/loader question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Umm a question.

Does the tractor have a front crank driven aux hydraulic pump ?

Anyway there are I think 2 or 3 drain plugs under the tranny and rear end.

And one in the back of the 3 point lift box on top of the rearend. the lift box gets refilled to the bottom of the fill tube (approx 3-4 gal).
The tranny and rearend get refilled at the plug beside the gearshift.
fill up to the plug just underneath the footboatd if the tractor only has one hydraulic pump, if 2 pumps on tractor fill to within 6 inches of top of fill opening.

paridgerunner

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: IH 444 hydraulic/loader question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The pump comes off the front and runs right off the motor if that's what you mean. Do I have to bleed this once I put new fluid in and what type of fluid if you know.

IH2444
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: IH 444 hydraulic/loader question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep that is what I mean. I have the same setup.
You will fill until the fluid is 6 inches below the top of the fill opening beside the gearshift. about 17 gal I think.
I use the premium UTF from TSC. any fluid that meets HyTran specs should be fine.
I did not have to bleed mine when I changed it, just work the steering and loader and lift till they quit being jerky and noisy and you have the air out.
To measure mine I clamp a small stick in a pair of vice grips and use it to measure the oil level.

paridgerunner

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: IH 444 hydraulic/loader question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for your help, I'll give a try this weekend.

Owen Aaland
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: IH 444 hydraulic/loader question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With the 2050 loader and front mounted pump it sounds like you have a 2444 rather than a 444. I have been told that the front mounted pump was an industrial version only.

paridgerunner

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 444 hydraulic/loader question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not sure about that, it is a 444 though, not a 2444. The pump is on the front and is ran directly off the motor, this loader may have been added later, not sure of the history of it that much. Is there much difference between the 444/2444, I was always under the impression that one was industrial and one was AG, I think maybe the front end is different on the industrial, maybe made stronger or something, this is a 444 though.

IH2444
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 444 hydraulic/loader question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine is a 2444.
A 2444 is just a 444 pulled of the regular line and a few things changed.
Front axle, foot throttle, options of a front mounted aux hydraulic pump, reverser, dual steering rams, etc.
The SN of a 2444 is a 444 SN.

You can also have the low boy option, dual rears, etc.

Secret Squirrel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 444 hydraulic/loader question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On our 444, the hydaulic oil is separate from the transmission oil. It has a check plug behind the seat on the right side that screws straight down into the lift cover. The drain is located straight in the back of the lift cover. It also has a cleanable screen in the front of the lift cover. It holds about 4 gallons. No priming or bleeding is ever necessary on our 444. Our neighbor had one that the oil was all the same throughout. It had a disposable filter unde the steering wheel. They both are regular 444s, just different years.

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1