Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

Planter plates

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ark. Red
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Planter plates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if the planter plates for a cub tractor will work in the planter for a super A or 140 tractor? Those I have seen advertised on Ebay look the same as some I am using now with my 75 model IH 140 set up. Also would like to know if anyone knows the number of a planter I have and have used on same tractor. It is an all metal planter but has two side by side hoppers, one for corn and one for peas.

SuperA-Tx
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Planter plates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In the 179 Blackland Planter manual it shows a picture of a "type c duplex hopper" that is divided into two sections. I wonder if this is what you are talking about? Says you can plant two kinds of seed such as corn or beans either alternately or both at the same time.

As far as the plates for a cub planter working on a 170 planter for a 140 I have no idea if they would fit or not.

Your planter a side mounted planter that also uses the 101 fertilize unit?

Ark-Red
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Planter plates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, it is the normal set up for international Harvester 140 or Super A cultivators. Seed plates that run in it look just like the cub seed plates advertised on ebay for sale.
The nice thing about the old side by side planter is you can actually see the seed as it is coming out of the seed plate and into the seed horn and tube. You know positively you are putting out seed.

SuperA-Tx
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Planter plates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have ten seed plates for the 179 planter for my Super A and so I compared the numbers on them to the ones listed in the cub manual and not any of them matched. My manual for the 179 is at my work but tomorrow I'll compare all the plate numbers listed in both manuals.

I have plate numbers 7932, 7933, 7934, and 7937. One spacer P01978, and three seed plates that all have the same number but have differant size seed holes, P01979.

Below is the url for the cub planter. You will have to copy and paste the url.

If you have a manual you can compare the numbers yourself.

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20Implement%20Manuals/Cub-174%20Runner%20Planter/Cub-174%20Runner%20Planter.htm

SuperA-Tx
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Planter plates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I compared the plate numbers in the Cub 174 planter book and the 179 Blackland Planter used on the SA and 140 Farmall and both books show the same numbers on the plates, combination plates as well.

Conclusion, Cub planter plates will work for your SA or 140.

Ar-Red
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Planter plates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thank you very much. Where is the best place to get a manual for the planters you are refering to?

ark-rred

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Planter plates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The number I found on the side by side planter hopper is an IH # CPC 5130. The one plate I have that works is a pea plate # CPB 5016.

The planter hopper I am using is a IH # H478563R1 on the base that the fiberglass hopper sits on and the actual seed plate carrier is 621704R2. The piece you see when you look down into the seed hopper that spreads the sead out says corn & beans # 621726R6. Could this be a McCormick-International one row No.184 planter w/International hopper mnfg. 1968?

mweverett
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Planter plates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The hoppers, hopper bottoms and the adapter casting they lock on to, both seed and fertilizer are the same for cub and A-140 mounted planters. Everything else is different for the different size tractors. These hoppers are common to the tool bar mounted multi unit planters of the same vintage, on up to the 80's I reckon. I have a 174 Runner Planter with a type C Duplex Hopper, really nice for the veg garden. They use a conical ring seed plate suspiciously like a Cole/Covington planter. I have wondered if the C in Type C means cole or covington.

bryanandtrinity

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 101 fertilizer unit Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where would I find replacements for this? Are there aftermaket parts?

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1