Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

PTO parallel gear box...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: PTO parallel gear box... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi.

Where can I find a small PTO ca 1:1.5 gear box with male input shaft and female output( both shafts parallel with 1 3/8" 6-spline).

I have a pto AC generator which I want to run at a lower motor rpm than 2100 to save fuel....

Thanks for tips on sources for new and used such gear boxes. Max drive needed 30hp.

regards

Tor

Coloken
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: PTO parallel gear box... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can't help you, but sounds like a good idea. Like pulling a hay rake No need to have the engine wide open RPM. Not talking about lugging an engine her, just letting it take it a bit easier.

jimNCal
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: PTO parallel gear box... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your local bearing/motion shop will have a pile of catalogs for the rep to look thru. An internet search pulls up too many hits to look thru in an evening.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: PTO parallel gear box... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hub City Gear makes PTO speed-change gearboxes, but they aren't CHEAP!

Hub City

massey333
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: PTO parallel gear box... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is your call.but doing that can be a very-very expensive learning experience if you have any Solid State or Electronic equipment because you will not be able to maintain a solid 60Cycle current.Most if not all tractors won't maintain a even enought RPM at half-two thirds speed.Your call Just a Warning ahead of time.Your 2100 will turn into appox.1400 RPM.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: PTO parallel gear box... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

P.S....

Take a look at SurplusCenter.com.

They have a variety of gearboxes, NOT many with PTO splines, though.

olddog
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: PTO parallel gear box... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I second this mans comment. I've been out in all kinds of weather and all times of the day to fix equipment on the farm that was ruined because of this.
ELECTRICITY IS WAY FASTER THAN THE GOVERNORS ON YOUR TRACTOR.
At least when your tractor is up to PTO rpm, when you flip the silo unloader (or any other hi load) on, it can recover quickly enough to maintain voltage AND 60 CYCLES, to protect other AC sensitive equipment. If you are just running lightbulbs or heaters, go for it! Otherwise, buy good insurance.

Tor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: PTO parallel gear box... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As of stable RPM at half - two-third of full RPM with tractors I must say that I have the opposite experience. My JD1630 (58hp) is very stable under various loads. My former MF also was very stable.

Also varying RPM in generators will seldom have any impact in modern electronics as the AC current is rectified in the SM power supply's front end. Wrong rpms will have more impact on electrical motors and old transformer welders etc..

Tor

Steven f/AZ
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: PTO parallel gear box... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We've hooked up our 540 PTO generator to the 2590 Case 1000 PTO shaft and let the tractor loaf along for hours at a time without any trouble.

Run everything except the computers that way with no problems.

ALSO, sometimes we just need to use some basic power tools at a remote location with the big generator - then we run the 1086 on the 1000 shaft loafing along.

Steven f/AZ
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: PTO parallel gear box... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Forgot in my last post...

What tractor are you using? What horsepower? What are you going to run with the generator?

With this info, people can give a little better answer.

onefarmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: PTO parallel gear box... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It would take a bit of imagination to build. But what about using an old truck tranny mounted backward. Drive the tail shaft with the tractor and the input shaft speed increases according to the gear you put it in.

olddog
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: PTO parallel gear box... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Many electric motors , vacuum pumps, compressors, a bank of fans, milk pumps etc come on automatically at most farms. If you're running near maximum capacity at 2/3 or 1/2 speed of rated HP speed, don't matter if you have 30 or 130 rated HP the governors and pickup on the tractor is slower than electricity. A 100 HP rated @ PTO speed tractor does NOT always make 50 HP @ 1/2 speed.

IF you are running a constant load, especially if you are in attendance, you could save the fuel.
Which is quicker, getting back to full load RPM in lo gear or road gear? Same thing applies.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: PTO parallel gear box... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1134 engine rpm if running a 1000rpm pto with 540 stub shaft.
And engine capable of 30HP/20KW generator output would have to be rated at 56+HP turning 2100rpm.
If loaded at low rpms engine cooling could be a factor.
How much fuel are you counting on saving?

Tor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: PTO parallel gear box... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A bit more info:

I use my 58hp JD 1630 with 540 rpm pto. The generator is capable of delivering 15kVA, but I won't draw more than max 5kVA for pumping and or welding at remote places. This tractor will have no problem keeping the rpm stable at this power.
Just as much as saving some fuel the reduced noise and less environmental impact were reasons behind this post...

Computers will have no problems running off 50 or 70Hz as I mentioned the AC get rectified in the PS' front end circuit. They will though strongly dislike staying connected when powering up/down huge inductive loads because of voltage spikes. However those spikes are not caused by varying rpm and this problem will be the same from a constant rpm setup.

Thanks

Tor

Tor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: PTO parallel gear box... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Which google searchwords did you use?

I am a frequent google user but did not find many hits for suppliers of parallel (inline) tractor pto gear boxes with female/male 6-spline shafts....

There were millions of splined shaft gearbox hits but very rarely the kind I am looking for. That's why I posted it here where I hoped to find people already using such devices...

Thanks anyway ;-)

regards

Tor

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2