Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

801 Powermaster Diesel Fuel Injector Leak

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GMB in Grandview
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: 801 Powermaster Diesel Fuel Injector Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am trying to find info on repairing the injector pump on my Ford 801. It has a drip leak from the rod that goes through pump and hooks to throttle linkage. It only leaks on the engine block side. It used to leak only when tractor was running but now leaks running or just sitting. Diesel cost to much to let it leak out on the ground!

I was considering putting in a cutoff valve in the fuel line so I could shut off the diesel when it is not being used. I think I would probably have to take the fuel injector off and I think that is beyond my abilities....I think.

Does anyone have an suggestions? Should I try to replace the o-rings (on both sides)? Is that possible without removing the pump. Or should I take it entire tractor to a New Holland dealership and let them fix it? Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated. Tractor runs great other than the leak.

Thank GMB

Royce TN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 801 Powermaster Diesel Fuel Injector Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Grandview Tx? I have a 801 diesel. From everything I've seen and read here, A professional diesel shop is the the best way to go. A lot of parts in those things and getting to the o-rings could be troublesome. Some dealerships send their pumps out to a shop. You might want to order a full service manual from the links at the left. It will give detailed instructions on removal & re-installation and timing but probably not on the pump itself. You could remove it and UPS it off to a shop for repair if you decide to tackle that part of the project. If not, and you have a good relationship with the New Holland dealership, they will be able to get it done for you.

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 801 Powermaster Diesel Fuel Injector Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

George;
Give me 24 hrs and I will give you some advise.
Just to busy to answer your e-mail right now.

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: 801 Powermaster Diesel Fuel Injector Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

George;
Sorry I did not answer sooner. My daughters apartment was broken into and they not only took the stuff from inside her apartment; they stole her car to carry the stuff away. Been a rough couple of days. Good part is it was only material things and everyone is safe.

Anyway............
Lets clarify a few words. Injector is under the valve cover; fuel pump is on the side of the engine.
A shut off valve will not work for a external leak because if air gets in the system from fuel leaking out then it will loose prime.
I looked at many outs to fix my leak. Even bought a book with a parts breakdown. Like you I was afraid of getting it apart and pieces going everywhere.
I finally just took the pump off and had the whole thing rebuilt at a local diesel pump shop. Cost me over $600 but it was well worth it. No more leaks and the engine starts and runs much better. A reseal would have been cheaper than a rebuild but when the guy got into it he said a total rebuild was necessary for my pump.

Now if you want to go this route you will need to time the pump to the engine. No problem since you are not taking anything else loose.
Look on the side of the pump (away from engine). You will see a little plate on the round part of the pump. It is held on by 2 screws. This is the timing window. Take these 2 screws loose and the plate off. You will see a small line or scratch and a wheel that spins. Turn the engine over so it rotates the wheel until you see a line on the wheel. Now line up the 2 lines by rotating the engine with a wrench on the big nut on the end of the crank shaft (bottom fan belt pulley) so you can move slow.
When the 2 lines are lined up you are now set. You can remove the pump for service. Just do not crank the motor over with the pump out.
When you get the pump back just rotate the pump shaft till the lines line up and install it in the motor and you will be back in time where you were before you started.
While this will NOT time the pump to the motor it WILL put you right back where you were from the get go.

Hope this helps you out.
Sorry I can not tell you how to replace the seals yourself.

awhtx
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: 801 Powermaster Diesel Fuel Injector Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just replaced the governor ring in my RoosaMaster pump which required removal and partial disassembly. I bought the overhaul seal kit rom the guy on Ebay for about $30 which included a lot more seals than I needed.
I don't know what your level of mechanical ability is but this is not a simple 1 hour job. You will need a manual for the RoosaMaster pump because the Ford Service Manual does not cover the disassembly of the pump- only the removal of it from the engine. There is a manual put out by Allis Chalmers that covers the RoosaMaster DB series pump and I think I got mine from SSB Tractor for about $35.
Alan- just down the road from you in Lampasas.

Abnormal
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: 801 Powermaster Diesel Fuel Injector Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Line up the marks, take it off & have it rebuilt. I just had mine done, got the high dollar metal gov. ring & the total cost including a new paint job for the pump was < $150.00. Made me think I have a new tractor.

awhtx
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Who overhauls a RM for $150? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You got the bargain of the year if you got a complete rebuild for <$150. Would you care to share the name of the shop with us? Every quote for an overhaul that I have seen started at $350 and went up from there.

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1