Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

disstributor cap and rotor for autolite: IAD6003 2J 3M

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: disstributor cap and rotor for autolite: IAD6003 2J 3M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are there any alternate caps for the AL 165 and Rotor AL 150 to use with the autolite distributor IAD6003 2J 3M? Price at NAPA for the rotor is ok but cap is 30 dollars plus. Seems this combination is used with the Pertronix electronic ignition unit for my tractor. Engine is the 148

JGarner
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: disstributor cap and rotor for autolite: IAD6003 2J 3M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Let me know how you like the Pertronix ignition. I bought one along with one of their coils. I ended up taking ignition plate out and putting points and condensor ignition back in my 630 distributor. Must have been a weak coil before because it starts and runs like a new tractor with just the Flame Thrower coil and breaker point ignition. I am really disappointed with the Pertronix ignition. I am hoping I put it in wrong or need to make some wiring changes. I installed it just like the instructions said.

With Pertronixs ignition it won't try to start until the key comes back to the run position and you are just guessing on whether it was choked enough or flooded.

ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: disstributor cap and rotor for autolite: IAD6003 2J 3M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had exactly the same problem. My tractor , 320 Industrial with loader and backhoe, quit while working on my own property. Tried everything and finally put the regular points and ignition back in the distributor and it started immediately. Contacted Pertronix and they sent me a procedure to check the electronic unit. Bought another electronic unit and after I installed it tractor ran perfectly. I have had the first electronic ignition unit in my tractor for a year. Mine did the same thing as yours, tractor would not try to start until the key returned to the run position. I have several older farm tractors and have pertronix electronic ignition units in them . These tractors have worked well for several years with the pertronix electronic units.

ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: disstributor cap and rotor for autolite: IAD6003 2J 3M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had exactly the same problem. My tractor , 320 Industrial with loader and backhoe, quit while working on my own property. Tried everything and finally put the regular points and ignition back in the distributor and it started immediately. Contacted Pertronix and they sent me a procedure to check the electronic unit. Bought another electronic unit and after I installed it tractor ran perfectly. I have had the first electronic ignition unit in my tractor for a year. Mine did the same thing as yours, tractor would not try to start until the key returned to the run position. I have several older farm tractors and have pertronix electronic ignition units in them . These tractors have worked well for several years with the pertronix electronic units.

VACLee
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: disstributor cap and rotor for autolite: IAD6003 2J 3M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try automotive discount stores. Order parts for mid 50's Jeep CJ-3 with 4 cylinder engine. Cap, rotor, and points will be considerably less. We have been running 2 tractors with the Pertronix setup for several years and have not had any problems. We are running the resistor just as you would with points. Did open up gap on the plugs to .040-.045 range. Sure does make them start alot easier and are not nearly as cold natured.

mhmalcolm
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: disstributor cap and rotor for autolite: IAD6003 2J 3M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Click on the link below for a cap that fits your distributor. It is listed for Massey Harris, but is the same cap that fits the Autolite distributor on your Case according to my 1960 Delco-Remy catalog.
Autolite Distributor Cap

dwag
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: disstributor cap and rotor for autolite: IAD6003 2J 3M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are 2 small posts on starter solenoid, 1 marked "S" which is start from key switch. Other post will be marked "R" and should be connected to + post on coil to aid in starting eng while cranking.

Joe (Wa)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: disstributor cap and rotor for autolite: IAD6003 2J 3M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have the Pertronix on 3 tractors all converted to 12v. 10, 8 & 3 yrs, no problems.

I suspect you have a bad module that is voltage sensitive. On 12v batt when you are cranking the voltage can drop to 9 or less. Module may be cutting out or delivering a very weak spark. Key turned back to run, starter out of the circuit, voltage pops back up to 12+, the engine is still rolling some, 1 or 2 good sparks could get it running.

Joe

ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: disstributor cap and rotor for autolite: IAD6003 2J 3M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you for the information. I did connect a jumper wire from the battery positive post to the positive side of the coil when I was having trouble starting my Case with the Pertronix electronic ignition installed

Joe (Wa)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: disstributor cap and rotor for autolite: IAD6003 2J 3M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Out here last summer Napa merced with Westbay, now Westbay/Napa.

I have 3 tractors with factory Auto-Lite distributors IAD 6003. two 148 cid engines & one 124 cid engine.

Napa (Echlin) cap p/n AL-70, rotor p/n AL-69
Westbay (Borg-Warner) cap p/n D-110, rotor D-121

Those were correct p/n's for that dist for years. May have changed p/n when they merced?

Joe

ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: disstributor cap and rotor for autolite: IAD6003 2J 3M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

good idea--regarding the voltage sensitive module Spark was very weak when cranking and seemed to disappear after full cranking speed with the starter was reached

Joe (Wa)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: might help someone Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ignitor Installation Instructions

Do Not Remove Green Tape From Magnet Sleeve

Please read through instructions before beginning installation

Application: Autolite Mechanical Advance Distributors
(12 volt Negative Ground Only)
Kit Number: AT 41/1541
Electrical Connections:

BE CAREFUL: IF THE IGNITOR IS CONNECTED BACKWARDS, IT MAY BE DESTROYED AND THE WARRANTY WILL BE VOID.

1. Connect the black wire to the negative (-) terminal on the coil. A crimp-on ring connector is provided to make this connection and can be attached after the wire is cut to the desired length. Be sure the connector IS adequately crimped to secure it to the wire.

2. Connect the red wire to any source of +12 volts that is controlled by the ignition switch. For most vehicles, the positive (+) terminal of the coil is the most convenient connection point. The red wire should be connected to the (+) coil terminal along with the existing wire from the ignition switch.
Note: For vehicles equipped with a ballast resistor, it is preferable to connect the red wire to the ignition switch side of the resistor so the electronic module will receive full battery voltage.

3. The engine may now be started. After letting the engine run for a few minutes, the ignition timing should be set in the normal manner.
www.geneseeproducts.coJIl"'. (918) 274-8000

JGarner
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: disstributor cap and rotor for autolite: IAD6003 2J 3M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Exact description of what is ahppening as I have checked voltage at coild while cranking. Absolutly will not start until key is back to run position and then takes 5-6 tries. GAve up on Pertronix and put breaker point/condensor plate back in and haven't had any trouble starting. Pertronix not nearly as good or reliable as Detroit (auto/pickup any brand) electronic ignitions.

My Pertronix unit is probably out of warranty by now and I will not buy another one to complete the final factory function test!!

JGarner
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: might help someone Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Instructions same as mine except I have positive ground and the red wire is black with white stripe. I appreciate you relaying this but that still doesn't make it work. As below I got the test instructions from them and its tests 5x5, no problems noted on test.

I suspect its the voltage drop due to the starter but I am still not happy with its performance and wish I wouldn't have wasted the money. May stick it back in if I put a new battery in but VOM says current battery is OK.

Joe (Wa)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: might help someone Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is your distributor Delco or Auto-Lite? I have a new ignitor for Delco. P/n 1142, 12v neg gnd. I don't know if it will work on a 630. If you have Delco and think it might work, you can have it.

I don't know 630, can't take much to change polarity from what I've done on the letter & lower nr series tractors.

Joe

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2