Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

4020 John Deere

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray Durham
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: 4020 John Deere Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I own a 1964 John Deere 4020 (serial #21T85483). Fuel gauge quit working, so I sent it to Jerry Trcka at EverGreen Restoration to restore. Got it back still didn't work. Jerry suggested I get a new sending unit for the tank. I did, but still does not work. Now, Jerry is saying my gauge is a 0-30 ohm gauge and must be matched to a sending unit with this same ohm range. My mechanic says the new sending unit is a 0-300 ohm unit. I'm curious as to what other members of this list think about my situation.

nickg
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 John Deere Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 67 4020 diesel. My fuel gauge hasnt worked since I got it and wanted to fix it so I went to deere got a gauge and a sending unit. Crappy thing still doesnt work and Ive tried everything. Re wired it made sure it was positivly grounded and everything. I read sum wear that deere had part numbers wrong on the gauges for a gas and a diesel gauge but dealership wont take it back and Im not spendin 80 bucks on another gauge so I just use my never failing trusty piece of dowl rod for a fuel gauge. Hope you have better luck than I did

Gerald J.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 John Deere Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check the wires and the grounding of the old sending unit. On mine I was able to restore the old sending unit by bending the brass wiper a little so it touched the resistance coil again.

Fuel gauges have to match the sendor's resistance range or they will not work right.

Gerald J.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 John Deere Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If your 4020 has standard 24 volt system it takes a RE 54427 positive ground gauge, and AR 26434 sender,,If it has been converted to 12 volt neg. ground you will need RE 53664 gauge and AR 26434 sender,,and the gauge holder will need modified to fit the new style gauge, the orange wire is the sender wire..and a ground wire needs to be run to the gauge..

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 John Deere Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Swapped polarity on 12V tractors and 24V to 12V conversions can render a fuel gauge useless unless properly re-wired.

4020_1966
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 John Deere Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I did my 12v conversion (was the Deere kit) the manual said that the gauge may not work and listed part numbers if that happened. It worked perfectly so I have not had to mess with that. I guess some gauges and senders don't care if they are pos or neg grounded. They listed the same sender as Tim but AR 46271 (sub for AT 27153, R34262, and AR26716) for Fuel gauge as the "matched pair". They listed different #s for the newer 4020s.

Which btw if anyone wants a copy of the PDF file I scanned that has the conversion instructions with a copy of the wiring diagram for the <200999 "button" start 4020s let me know. The wiring diagram has some pencil scribbles on it from me troubleshooting some things and markign the "converted" electronics but it is easy to read the factory diagram thru them.

Last edited by 4020_1966 on Wed May 20, 2009 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
clearcreekaggie
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 John Deere Reply to specific post Reply with quote

could you email me a copy of the 4020 wiring 12v conversion

crimson_w_livestock@hotmail.com

thanks

clearcreekaggie
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 John Deere Reply to specific post Reply with quote

l

Last edited by clearcreekaggie on Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
4020_1966
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 John Deere Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yea I can get you the pdf, gimme a day or so and I can. Its to big for me to email out, I might be able to rescan it, that would save me some problems in the future. Which are you need it for? The early early or the early 4020? I can send the diagrams for either.

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1