Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

Best engine oil for JD 1020?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrschwit
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Best engine oil for JD 1020? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently acquired a '67 model JD 1020 row crop tractor. It's preventative maintenance time and I'd like to know what engine oil to use. The operator's manual says SAE 30 and specifically cautions against multi-viscosity oils for the gasoline model (mine).
But since my dealer is a long drive, I'd like to find a local source for a suitable oil. I have yet to find SAE 30 oils meeting JD's API specs (API MS, DG, DM and DS) but my local oil supplier recommends Shell Rotella for all diesel and heavy duty gasoline applications. However, they only have it in multi-vis. I'm thinking modern multi-vis oils are much different than those from the 60s and would actually be better than the straight oils.

Anyone have any practical experience to share?

Thanks,
Jim

JDemaris
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Best engine oil for JD 1020? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is nothing special about the 300-series engine used in the 1020, as compared to other small diesels. That little 152 diesel is used in many things.

The reason why Deere does not recommend multi-oil is because all organic multi-oils use polymers that can plug up piston rings. Synthetic oils don't have those polymers. So, any good mulit-visc sythentic oil is fine. Deere sells their own version.

The reality is - even if you do use an organic multi-oil, the soot build up on piston rings isn't that bad - but will happen to some degree. But, your engine can suffer from it more than many turbo-diesels because your engine does NOT have self-cleaning Keystone type piston rings.

In regard to Rotella T - I won't use it anymore. It was a great diesel oil - until they lowered the anti-wear additives to meet emmission standards for on-road diesels in the USA. In Europe, Rotella T still has the proper additives. It is an "on-road" oil now, not an "off-road" and is not rated for proper protection in engines with flat-tapped camshafts (like your 1020 has).

If in doubt, and you want the best- buy straight diesel-rated 30W that is an off-road oil. Or, buy sythentic HD off-road oil from Deere, or Delo, etc. The main thing is . . . you want an oil that still has the high levels of ZDDP in it, like Rotella used to have before 2009.

JDemaris
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: One more comment . . . Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just realized you've got the 135 cube gas engine, and not the 152 diesel. But, all I said still relates. That gas engine needs the same protection for cam-parts as the diesel. Up until last year, the proper additives were still found in most diesel-rated oils - but not anymore. So, all I posted about the diesels also applies to your gas engine (I've got the same in a 300 Deere- yellow version of the 1020).

davediehl@hotmail.com
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Best engine oil for JD 1020? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In 1967, none of todays ratings existed. The SAE 30 used back then did not have detergents, it did not have anything for additives. If you elect to run oils with cleaners and protectants, make darn sure you change and check oil often. All of that junk will break loose and go straight to the filter where it can plug it up. If you have been through the engine, then this doesn't apply.

F-I-T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Best engine oil for JD 1020? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

...In 1967, none of todays ratings existed. The SAE 30 used back then did not have detergents, it did not have anything for additives....

I'm certain that that statement is entirely accurate. We used "Pure" brand, later Union 76, single weight 30HD, "Heavy-Duty, High Detergent" in everything, well, 20 weight in the cold weather, but it was all detergent. Even in 1965 you had to go looking to get non-detergent when you wanted to use it for break-in oil. All of the multi-vis national brands were detergent oils as well. If an engine made it to from 1935 to 1965, it probably moved over to detergent oil and was washed out or blown up 40 years ago. Remember, Mobile One was introduced back about then. '67 wasn't exactly the dark ages for organic chemistry.

Last edited by F-I-T on Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Wilsonfire
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: One more comment . . . Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jdemaris I trust your wisdom on this subject greatly. So my question is... Do any oils available at a retailer have the ZDDP wear additives still at off road levels? I think many of us are forced to buy oils at big box retailers and auto parts stores. Thanx Wilson

JDemaris
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: One more comment . . . Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some of this stuff is hard to keep up with. As I understand it, many oils specifically sold for farm use, off-road, racing, etc. still have the ZDDP addtitives - including Deere-branded oils. I've been buying Chevron Delo diesel oil, since at present, it's one of highest rated (but not cheap). Delo 400 LE is a 15W-40 diesel oil that still has the additives (Delo 400 with no "LE" on the end does not). Delo 100 comes in single-grade 30, 40, or 50 for diesels and has all the additives. Even approve for the older two-stroke-cycle Jimmy diesels (53, 71, and 92s).

regularguy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: One more comment . . . Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try Valvoline VR1 Racing oil available from your NAPA store, it is available in SAE 30 and should state in bold letters on the box and on the bottle that it has the ZDDP additive package.

amnion
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Best engine oil for JD 1020? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Spot-on answer, F-I-T.

Almost any motor oil you can buy today will work fine. If you are really worried, pay a dollar more per quart for non- bargain rack oil that is rated for use in heavy-duty engines. Straight 30 will work great, and so will any multi-viscosity oils.

F-I-T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Best engine oil for JD 1020? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, but I typo'ed and it was supposed to say ..."I'm NOT certain that that statement is entirely accurate. We used... "

I just think that most of the oil used in these old girls even back in '67 was high-grade, detergent oil, as there was VERY little non-detergent available. I also agree that today, even the low priced, private label multi-grade oils that have an API rating of diesel severe are probably adequate, even in the 1020 gassers. I don't swallow much dirt with my old 70D, and I probably baby it when it comes to oil changes, compared to how my Dad treated her.

jrschwit
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Best engine oil for JD 1020? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks to all who responded. Good info. I was not aware of the off-road additives.
Thanks again,
Jim

regularguy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Best engine oil for JD 1020? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I find it interesting that according to the OP the 1020 three cylinder tractor manual cautions against using multi - viscosity oil and in the operators manual for my 2020 it clearly states "either single viscosity oil or multi - viscosity oil may be used." I realize that there is an extra cylinder on the 2020 but I guess that it suprises me that it would have an effect on the viscosity of the oil that should be used. Who would have known?

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1