Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

Electric fence charger

View previous topic :: View next topic  
caseman,2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Electric fence charger Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have hair sheep that keep going through my electric fence. My charger is very old and I am assumeing that the shock isn't as hard as it used to be. I'm in the market for a new charger, and would like some input on what brand is a good charger that puts out a lot of volts. Thanks

kyplowboy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric fence charger Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like Gallagher. I have an older M400 (I think) and with a little time make'n sure every thing is off the fence it will push 6kV. What ever charger you get be sure to have it well grounded and I would recomend a Gallagher smart fix. It cost around $120 now but it is the best money I have ever spent on fence'n.

Dave
If I lost mine this weekend I would by one Monday

Jerry/MT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric fence charger Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gallaghers are good and so are Horizont sold by Premeir1 (www.premeir1.com)

bc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric fence charger Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Forget Zareba unless you like dealing with repairs.

36 coupe

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Electric fence charger Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Find a Parmak SE3 . It will put 10KV on the fence with a wire laying on the ground.Fencers will need repairs no matter who makes them.I have 2 5 gallon pails of lightning damaged transformers in the shop.

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Electric fence charger Reply to specific post Reply with quote

caseman......electic fences are only as good as their GROUND!!! Everybody just drives one rod and calls it grounded. IT AIN'T GROUND!!! alotta electric fencing books say 3-rods, 1-ft apart. NOPE, better but it still ain't a good ground. Others advocate wetting the groundrod area with "salt" (NaCl) or better calcium chloride (CaCl). That helps ...but... heres the BEST GROUND ...... bury a 4ft x 16ft stockade panel 6-12in deep. Go ahead and clamp an 8ft ground rod to it iff'n you want.

Heres the deal, the minerals that conduct the electrons is in the top 1-ft of soil. So the more contact area (4ft x 16ft) the better the ground and it will gitt'chur sheepies attention, woolies or hairsheep. .......Dell

Andy C
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Electric fence charger Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Parmak is best deal for the money.Reasonable repair when it gets whacked by lightning! Zareba is a price point oriented product(junk in my opinion) Gallagher makes good products but is expensive at both the purchase and then also at the repair.These opinions gleaned from 30+ years in the fence business.
The information about grounding provided by others is sooo.... important !!!
Good Luck,
Andy

dboll

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Electric fence charger Reply to specific post Reply with quote

International super 100's used to be good, but heard they toned the new ones down, if you could find a good used one it would be worth buying.

36 coupe

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Electric fence charger Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Heres the truth on charger grounds.If the power co ground is better than yours the hi voltage comes back to the chargers case and goes thru the fuse to power co grounded side of line.Fuses flex and break.Old buggy axles , rusty rebar and bits of water pipe dont work.You need 3 8 foot copper clad ground rods with the newer chargers.The ground clamps that come with new chargers are junk.Some new chargers aint much better.

bc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Electric fence charger Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi 36. I've looked for the parmak se3 on the web and can't find it. They make a se4 now.

Also, email is open. I'm trying to send my charger to you for repair. See old thread for details.

Thanks.

36 coupe

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric fence charger Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The SE4 is a night mare to service same with the Mark 7.They took out the input transformer and put in a circuit board with 27 parts in it.There a second board with more parts that controls the timing and lites up a number display.When that board fails it take the power board with it.It cost 75.00 when both boards fail.Parmak wont give me diagrams on the new chargers.Parmak company has changed greatly in the last 20 years.They used to be excellent on service ,supplying any small part I needed along with diagrams and trouble shooting info.Its costs too much to ship chargers now and many I look at are rusted wrecks,I had water run out of them when I open them.The SE 1 2 and 3 were very dependable.When lightning did get one a new output transformer that cost 20 bucks and a 5 buck labor charge would fix one.

36 coupe

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Electric fence charger Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Heres why I dont like Gallagher chargers.An output transformer costs 85 bucks while a Parmak costs 25 bucks.Also remember when you couldnt buy Gallagher parts.Importer had captive service.

mmidlam
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: hi 36 coupe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

can you come up with some patent numbers for that se-4? sometimes you can do a patent number search online and get some ideas of how the circuit works or even a schematic diagram.

Foxx
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Electric fence charger Reply to specific post Reply with quote

36 coupe wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:22:47 12/27/09) Heres why I dont like Gallagher chargers.An output transformer costs 85 bucks while a Parmak costs 25 bucks.Also remember when you couldnt buy Gallagher parts.Importer had captive service.

Any thoughts on where to buy a used fencer? I have one of those poly fences for goats, and my fencer died.

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1