Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

Melroe Spra-Coupe Engine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IHMANKY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Melroe Spra-Coupe Engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Heard several discussing repowering older Spra Coupes, but heard cost is high on that industrial VW.. Deal is, I can get ahold of an early 90's 230 Coupe with a locked-up, overheated engine. Is there something that can be swapped in its place such as a 2.2l out of an s-10 or something similar?

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Melroe Spra-Coupe Engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

(Almost) ANYTHING can be done with enough time and money, but it surely will take an interesting adapter to mate the S-10 engine to the Volksnazi tranny and clutch!

Don't forget the governor will need to be swapped over as well, and the linkages all fine-tuned to make it work, as well as the spray pump drive off of the "front" of the engine.

I wonder if you could find a decent 'coupe reasonable up here on the northern plains where they have been almost completely replaced by pull-type sprayers with 90' to 120' booms for the BIG operators?

thurlow
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Melroe Spra-Coupe Engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with MISTER BOB (my Mama taught me to respect my elders and my betters); 20 years ago, nearly all the farmers around 'here' were running Spray Coupes, now, they've all gone to BIG rigs, like the 4630-4930 series JDs. I've seen running/good condition 220s sell for less than $1000 at auction. Check the local salvage yards.........

Kurt smit

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Melroe Spra-Coupe Engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The engine went bad in our spray coupe as well. There is little to no information on this website or anyothers, that I could find, about a good alternative to a rebuild. There is a place in Auburn Hills, MI. called "Volkswagon Parts Place" that deals in VW parts. The owner, Jack, claimes to have sold a lot of engines and parts to Spray Coupe owners. He may help. We ended up installing a 1.8 FI engine from a car in ours. We have not had very good luck with it so far. I have heard that Porsch or Audi engines may work (they are all VW), but do not know for sure. The big problem is that most VW stuff is fuel injected and they need very high fuel supply pressure to run properly. I think this is the problem we have with ours, I think we are just a little shy on haveing enough fuel pressure, because it runs, but runs out of power under a load. If you buy an engine, make sure you buy a supply pump and also the pump that goes in the fuel tank. If you find something that works better, post it PLEASE!
Kurt

usetob
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Melroe Spra-Coupe Engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if I remember right AGCO bought out spray-coupe

IHMANKY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Melroe Spra-Coupe Engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You all have interesting opinions on the deal... you've all three convinced me of what I was already leaning toward... NOT worth the investment or energy of attempting it... We only run a couple hundred acres, and I have a 150 Gal. w/20 foot boom out back here (trailer type) that with new hoses and nozzles would be just like new... but a neighbor just bought a new big JD and offered the use of his 300 Gal. 60' trailer type for nothing, and it's ready to go. Not real big on borrowing... but nothing much to tear up, and beats an actual "repower" kit for the VW, which is EXPENSIVE and I have heard more problems than less with them. Thanks for the input fellas!

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1