Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

Adding a cab

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Adding a cab Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In my search for a larger tractor I am coming across a lot of really nice open station tractors. Farmall 806's, 706's, 656's ect. What I am really looking for is a cab tractor. How hard is it to put a nice year-a-round or hiniker cab on a tractor? Cost? Are cabs sized for a specific tractor or are they sized to fit any 06 series IH like 706, 806, 1206?

Leyland-270
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Adding a cab Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A good cab will cost you about 600 - 1000. Something less could be purchased for around 250. There may be some need to make some modest changes to make a cab fit from model to another but will mostly interchange within a series.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Adding a cab Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know of a place not far from me that last time I was by there had 10 or so cabs just laying around. Now this is in Missouri so that might be a problem for you

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Adding a cab Reply to specific post Reply with quote

cabs are not hard to install.New ones are no longer available,find a good used one.most ih cabs will fit your tractor.If you are good with a welder,torch,and have a good imagination,you can make anything fit.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Adding a cab Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know what the neighbor did with the one off of his 806. I was gonna buy it and put it on my Oliver 1600,but didn't. Might still be there,but it's in mid Michigan.

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Adding a cab Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Both of those you mentioned were built in Mankato, MN., and were basic universal models with mounting brackets and filler plates to match the particular tractor they were made for. See a lot of them available for $500. My son has two of them in his yard, taken from JD 3020 & 4020. My Hiniker was $1300 new in 1974, with heat, no air. Just a bolt-on if the brackets match your tractor, otherwise you can fab some.

Mark-Mi
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Adding a cab Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No such thing as a nice aftermarket cab.
Sweat box in the summer and a noise amplifier year round. That's where they get the name Year Around from. Mark

formerly ny bill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a cab Reply to specific post Reply with quote

brackets from a cab from a 706 and up will fit 06, 56, and (i think)66 series. the 656/666 brackets are different and harder to find.
a cab for a 66 series will have a different filler plate under the front window, than a cab for a 06 or 56 series.
y-a-r or hiniker are not as nice as more modern 86 etc cabs, but they sure beat sitting out in the weather. i take the doors off in the summer and they keep the sun off me for most of the day.

Doug - Iowa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a cab Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like my Excel,, paid $250 for it with all good glass. Replaced all the weather strips and repainted inside and out. Yes it louder than a modern cab but with a small ice shack heater I'm very comfortable even below zero temps. Take the doors and back window off in the summer and you have nice shade plus the fan feels good too. We put it on the tractor in an afternoon using the neighbor's loader, very easy job.

Last edited by Doug - Iowa on Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
JDB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a cab Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DOUG-IOWA,

Nice tractor you have there. I grew up in an almost idetical set up only it was an 806 diesel with a Excell cab. I looked at buying an 886 today and plan to go back to look at it again and an 806 that is coming in with a Year-a-Round QT1 cab on it.

Lee in Iowa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a cab Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I"ve got a yeararound and a hiniker and I would probably part with one of them. Between the two of them you could probably fit most 06 thru 66. I"m in west central Iowa.

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1