Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

Massey 165 power steering leak

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyinOK
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Massey 165 power steering leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I need help. I have replaced the pump, hoses, and o-rings. The only thing that is not new are the steel lines from the pump to the hoses. The do not appear to have any kind of cracks or week spots. I am still leaking fluid somewhere but I can't seem to find the problem. Anyone have any suggestions? If anyone is familiar with Midwest Hose, do you know if they can make those steel lines. Any help would be appreciated.

DavidP, South Wales
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 165 power steering leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Tony,
Is this a new pump that you have fitted? One of the possible causes of oil loss is oil passing the pump seal and finding its way into the sump (oil Pan). This should not be a problem with a new pump. Have you noticed any increase in the engine oil? If all is OK there any leak from the steel pipes should be visible. New can be made but are of a very complex shape so if you intend to renew them original ones would be best. If there is nor visible leak past the cylinder rod its not that. Some spool bodies have a circlip with a steel washer and felt pad in the end in place of the big plug shown in the photo. Oil can pass here. It is always possible for the O ring or gasket between the spool body and cylinder to leak so you need to check down the back side of the cylinder.
DavidP

TonyinOK
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 165 power steering leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This doesn't look like my powering steering pump at all. I'm getting a terrible oil bath when I run the tractor.

TonyinOK
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 165 power steering leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is what mine looks like.

Mike tn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 165 power steering leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Funny, sent a lot of time today chasing a leak on a mf150 with a leak. It was coming down the block behind the injector pump. After the hood came off the there was a god awful grimy dirty mess under the tank and on top of the valve cover. When i put a wrench om the return line at the entry to tank - no resistance - it was not even finger tight. The other end hooked to the injector return rail was loose as well.

Only had this tractor for 3 weeks - lots of leaks - fixing 'em one by one.

TonyinOK - go back and recheck all connections - the previous owner of my 150 did not and it's been leaking for a long time. Best of luck to you.

Tom-TX
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 165 power steering leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can take some engine cleaner, spray, then hose off and let dry. When it is clean and dry, use dry, clean white or blue paper towels to trace down the leak. You will find it very quickly. Tom

TonyinOK
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 165 power steering leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tom and Mike:
Thanks for the suggestions. I have put the new pump and hoses in myself so I know all the connections are tight. I will try the cleaning and paper towels and see what I can find.

DavidP, South Wales
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 165 power steering leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You said that you were losing oil somewhere suggesting that the oil was disappearing now you say that you are 'getting a terrible oil bath'. If that's the case it should not be too difficult to see where its coming from.
DavidP

135 Fan

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 165 power steering leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's a picture of the power steering unit, not the pump. Dave

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1