Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

MF 220 backhoe, stabilizers are stuck

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linster99
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: MF 220 backhoe, stabilizers are stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MF 202 Work bull with a 220 Backhoe. Since I came by the tractor the telescoping stabilizer feet will not push out but if I remove the pin the ram will push out and lift the tractor with no problem. The first thing I did was cleaned out all the mud and whatever crap was jammed in there, used a pressure washer and scraped everything that would come off with a gun brush.

I don't have torches and I cant afford them either. In the past I have been able to free stuff like this with a good penetrating oil and patience. I sealed the bottom with caulk so I could completely fill the problem area with PB Blaster which I have found to be pretty good. It's been soaking for over a month but no results yet.

Has anyone ever had to fix a problem like this? I am looking for some McGyver methods because I really don't have any extra money. Thanks

scottwv
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 220 backhoe, stabilizers are stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

had the same problem with my 220. lift the backhoe off the ground with the bucket then have someone hold the lever for the outrigger while you hit down on the outrigger shoe with a 12lb sledge hammer. hammer till your blue in the face, eventually it will break free. yours might not take much since you have been soaking it. good luck and most importantly have fun!!

trac
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 220 backhoe, stabilizers are stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

linster what scott said and if you have some brake fluid lying around its cheaper than cans of PB Blaster you will be surprised what it can do

Joe Ferguson
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 220 backhoe, stabilizers are stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you use brake fluid do not use acetylene torch
or any welding heat....the heated brake fluid will transform in lethal volatile gas.

Joe Ferguson

to_many_irons
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 220 backhoe, stabilizers are stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

your hoe must of set a long time .
how bout hook up the sand shoe and but some kind of jack between the frame and shoe and beat it with very large hammer as some one pulls on the lever .
now remmember dont force use a bigger hammer . lol .

Paul007
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 220 backhoe, stabilizers are stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tell your friends you're hosting a BBQ. After the burgers are done, stick the hot coals around the stuck joints, and when hot pull out the sledge and tell your pals they're all a bunch of wimps who can't even swing the thing.

linster99
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: MF 220 backhoe, stabilizers are stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I hammer against the shoe is it going to distort in some way, maybe I could bolt a piece of oak to it to use as my striking surface. The barbecue is an interesting idea but I don't have any friends.

GaryF
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 220 backhoe, stabilizers are stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine were stuck. a good whack with a heavy sledge hammer on the frame (where the outrigger slides up) freed mine (this was done while using the hydraulics to extend the outrigger also). Its kind of like shock treatment! The sliding plates are made of aluminum or something like it and gets corroded I was advised against using any kind of lubricant because of it attracting dirt maybe a good wire brushing would help. I would not hit on the foot of the out rigger.

linster99
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 220 backhoe, stabilizers are stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just thought people might be interested in the latest development in the stuck stabilizers. I freed one up today by using a hydraulic jack between the frame and the foot as well as operating the hydraulics. It went allot better than I thought.

Now for the bad news! When I tried the same trick on the other side I missed the fact that the top pin on the ram had been removed, the jack moved it just enough to break both fittings on top of the ram. So I fixed one thing and broke another and the irony is that the inner sleeve is still stuck but has to be removed to get the ram out to be fixed. All in a days work! Thanks for all the tips.

to_many_irons
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 220 backhoe, stabilizers are stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

that happens , was told when i was a kid [ if it was easy ever body would fix it ] lol .the fittings come out at an angle , but they thread straight down in the cyl . drive a good easy out in it .

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1