Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

Super 90 Please Help!

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Kahl

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Super 90 Please Help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I"ll keep this as short as possible. 1965 Super 90 Tractor is in the shop. Had the pto clutch replaced. Being billed $7100 total. I originally took it in in May. Pressure tested and thought pressure was low. I replaced the power steering/hydro pump for $1000. Didn"t work. Took it back and they replaced pto clutch housing, discs and plates. $3700. Brought it home and worked for an hour. Pto clutch slipped so I decided to shut it down. Pto would not disengage. Had to shut off tractor to stop it. Took it back. Was told the pto brake came out of grooves. Replaced a few more discs and machined the clutch housing again. While they had it this time they split the tractor 3 more times because they had the same problem of the pto continuously running after they shut it off. So now they say its fixed but want to charge me or all the time put in. An additional $3300 and won"t guarentee that it"ll work. Am I crazy? I really feel like I"m getting shafted here. Told them I won"t pay for all the labor.

Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Super 90 Please Help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Their problem that it wasn t fixed the first time. If they were not qualified do do the job then they should not have taken it on. I would offer to pay for parts and the first labor charge, after that I pay with a credit card and dispute the over charge.

Joe Kahl
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Super 90 Please Help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The sad thing is that its at a Massey dealership. They said that they cannot stand behind machined parts. The clutch housing was machined. I paid for the first fix. $3700. I need the tractor but another 3300 is tough to swallow for the same job. On another note, they insist that it does not have a two stage drive clutch. but the manual clearly states that it does. I'll never return to this shop but they still have the tractor.

Phil Tibbetts
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Super 90 Please Help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are really getting a Royal Screwing. I would complain to Massey Ferguson directly and also the BBB and anyone else I could find. No one should have to be treated like this.

juniur
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Super 90 Please Help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the super 90 ive worked on had independent pto an it is a pain to get the clutch out . the brake on those cluthes not a very good design . they probably didnt line the pins up on the back of the clutch when it was installed. if the pto is independent(hydraulically operated) then it doesnt have the two stage set up.

Bob N.Y.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Super 90 Please Help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 85 and Super 90 tractors do NOT have a 2-stage clutch, but it can be operated like it does. The PTO is engaged by a hydraulic clutch pack, but when the pedal is depressed all the way it dumps the pressure on the PTO clutch.

Danperkins
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Super 90 Please Help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

By two stage maybe you are thinking of the "Ground PTO" feature these tractors have? That's unfortunate what's happened to you here. I have rebuilt one of these Super 90 PTO clutches myself. These tractors are easy to split, and easy to repair. Some parts are becoming difficult to get new though, and maybe they had to have some of the parts built special. That would explain the machining charges. They should have checked the used parts dealers first though!

brianriver
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Super 90 Please Help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The PTO was somewhat of a weak link in these models in that if the discs or plates warped when hot they would not shut off even with a brake. It may be too little clearance in the clutch pack causing it to hang up. Another possibility is too little pump pressure causing the clutch pack to slip and warp. Maybe they warped during a dyno test at the dealership. Was it the transmission clutch housing machined or the pto carrier? The super 90s with the multipower had the multipower system way different than the models they were replaced by and were extremely expensive to repair thirty years ago.

Joe Kahl
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Super 90 Please Help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They said my shredder has too much momentum and caused the brake to fail. I got a reduction clutch to put on pto shaft so mower can spin after pto stops. I replaced the pump. good pressure. The pto carrier was machined. Its not multipower.

Joe Kahl
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Super 90 Please Help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing that up. The manual talks about depressing clutch half way to shift without stopping pto motion. Pto stops after further depression of clutch and pressure is dumped. Honestly I just pick a gear and stay with it.

Joe Kahl
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Super 90 Please Help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Correct. It's independent like the one you mentioned. When it was split the first time there was no brake at all. I knew someone had been inside before because ground pto gear had been removed and placed in tool box under foot. The first time I had it fixed the brake pins came out of grooves. The odd thing is that the pto had slipped just before I realized pto would not shut off. This was just after being put on dyno and bringing it down. I was not there. When it slipped on me, however, engine never even thought of puffing a little smoke.

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1