Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

200 hp front assist tractor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huskers86
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: 200 hp front assist tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wondering what model # front assist tractor around 200 hp would be a good reliable one to buy for $35,000-$60,000. Will probably buy case ih or a deere.

Iowa Farmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: 200 hp front assist tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We"ve got a few of every color around, but I feel that if you can find a good, clean Case IH Magnum, you would be pretty happy.

PreciseFarms
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: 200 hp front assist tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JD 4955, 4960, or 8300. All should have powershift. Have had them all. All are great tractors in that size.

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 200 hp front assist tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With that budget and goal, either way would work. I was going for a 4960, but when I found a Magnum 7240 much cheaper, I bought it. That was about 4 years ago. So far, so good.

Galen Mitchell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 200 hp front assist tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As far JD I would try hard to make to the 8300. Big jump up
in operator comfort, visibility, etc compared to 4955/60. Better
tractor all around in my opinion.

State of Jefferson
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 200 hp front assist tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Spent quite a bit of time in a Ford/ New Holland 8770. Pulling a big square balere and heavy disc. Good tractor. The slap shift Powershift is very nice.
I know it's not 200 hp, but its big brother the 8970 has a good reputation. Couple of the Big farmers here have em.

Can be bought WAAAY cheaper than Green.

Ben

nickg
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 200 hp front assist tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Im a deere guy myself but we have an 8870 newholland we bought new in 98. Its been a really good tractor. never had a bit of trouble with it. Just usuall maintenance things. If I was lookin at a deere in that price range a 4955 is a good tractor but I would preferr to spend a little more for an 8300. They are more comfortable in the cab and a bit quieter.

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 200 hp front assist tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Way off topic- when I first saw your "handle" I was curious, so I did a little research.
Very interesting. Kind of like NY state and NY city.
I hope that someday I can live where my vote counts. I always vote with the minority here. Too many urban/big gov./ welfare types here for anything or anyone other than liberal to get in.

Huskers86
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 200 hp front assist tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've ran 4960's and 8300 tractors before and agree with the comments here. I had a 7120 magnum but it was under powered for my 3 ft disc. I never ran anything newer in a magnum. How does the magnum front assist turn compared to the 8300 and 4960. Shorter or wider. And does the three point handle 12 equiptment without lift assist as the deeres do.

Huskers86
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 200 hp front assist tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I mean 30 foot disk, and the magnum was 2wd.

Iowa 100

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 200 hp front assist tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2210 Versatile Buhler would work very well also. The 18 speed powershift is a nice plus over the 16 speed in the 8870 New Holland. A little more road speed etc.

JDseller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 200 hp front assist tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would go with a JD 4960. They where a strong tractor and the 15 speed power shift worked smooth. Also the average mechanic can do most of the work on one of these. The JD 8300 that these guys talk about has a very jerky shifting power shift when cold. JD did a lot of work on that problem which they solved on the TEN series. Had a customer break the back window out with his head while moving his JD8400 in his machinery shed when it was zero out. They would hesitate for just a second and then BOOM they went. You also have a whole lot of electricial systems that do about everything. I once spent two days with a JD factory service tech working on a new JD8300. It would not go into any gear other than the "come home" one. We replaced every controller on the tractor. Finally we had to go through the wiring harness one wire at a time. Found a bad crimped wire terminal. Think how you would like to pay twenty hours of labor for a fifty cent terminal? How about a ten years old car with electric windows?.
I am a loyal JD equipment person but I personally run 55 series and older tractors. The electronics and plastic in the newer ones will not stand the test of time very well.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: 200 hp front assist tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rowcrop or articulated an option? There are Deeres
out there with live pto and three point hitch, not
just a drawbar.
Articulated tractor seem to go cheap around here.

Huskers86
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 200 hp front assist tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm looking row crop. I found a 8430 for $10,000 and was going to look at it and the dealer had it listed on the web site. I got there and they didn't even make the trade and have it. I figured for 10 g it could stay hooked to the disc and put a blade on it. I'm kinda leaning towards a front assist then I can pull the disc easy and use it for other work. I currently have a 4650 I like alot but want more hp and front assist.

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1