Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

Allis Chalmers WD Carburetor Adjustment HELP!!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farmall M Beginner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Allis Chalmers WD Carburetor Adjustment HELP!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would anyone know what to set the screws at on a Marvel/Schebler carburetor on a Allis Chalmers WD?
The tractor starts and idles but then it starts missing out and it surges? it does the same thing at full throttle?
Thanks

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers WD Carburetor Adjustment HELP!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would you believe there is not set setting on them. To many things that come into play to have a one setting fits all. That said 1-1/2 turn out with the main jet is a starting point then from there there are 2 schools of thought to setting one. One way is to open up the main jet till you get black smoke then turn it back in till the smoke stops. The other is open it up till you get max power with out smoke. I do both depending on how I feel and which tractor. But one thing you might also want to do is pull the main jet assembly and make sure you get a good steady flow of gas out of it because you may have a clogged up carb

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers WD Carburetor Adjustment HELP!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like the gas supply MAY be restricted.

If not:

There's NO exact "spec" to set the needles to, open the "load" adjustment 1/4 turn at a time and see if it runs better, if it does, eventually yom will get it rich enough to smoke, then back it off a little.

The idle adjustment gets set for best idle at SSSLLLLOOWWWW RPM's.

Gene
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers WD Carburetor Adjustment HELP!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Per the operator's manual, initial settings.
Idle screw - 1 1/2 turns out.
Main jet adjusting screw - 1 3/8 turns out.

But, I'm guessing you have a low fuel flow problem.

Huey2

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers WD Carburetor Adjustment HELP!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would also look at the govenor spring and weight pins. this can sometimes mask itself as a fuel problem

Farmall M Beginner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers WD Carburetor Adjustment HELP!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did have a plug in the sediment bowl, I got that unplugged and it would only run at full throttle even when the throttle lever was at idle it wouldn't throttle down? If I would control the throttle from the carburetor it was fine but as soon as I let off it would go back up to full throttle? I took off the carb and cleaned it some more and then it seemed fine, I don't know if it was with the governor or what the problem was.
now it seems to be running fine.
I hope it stays that way.
Thanks for every ones help

throldfarmer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers WD Carburetor Adjustment HELP!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="Farmall M Beginner"](quoted from post at 14:15:25 03/02/11) Would anyone know what to set the screws at on a Marvel/Schebler carburetor on a Allis Chalmers WD?
The tractor starts and idles but then it starts missing out and it surges? it does the same thing at full throttle?
Thanks[/quote]

Greetings to all, especially AC tractor owners.

I made a typo when registering. Meant theoldfarmer not throldfarmer when I registered today. Will ask for a correction.

God has blessed me with AC WD #165, the first WD in Northern California in 1948 ($1850 out the door July 1948). Purchased with a portion of my savings from WW2 Army Service. Tank Commander/Squad Leader at the shy age of 18.

Overhauled the engine for the first time around 1995. another story on my simple choices which produced a way better than new engine.

Your carburetor:
If, as others have suggested, you have determined that there is proper fuel flow to the carburetor:

1. Check for moderate tension on the governor rod/throttle shaft spring.
a) Too much tension and the engine will not return to idle
speed.
b) Too little tension can cause surging.

2. My madness to my method of adjusting the carburetor main jet is, with engine warm-wide open throttle without fuel starvation:
a) Turn main jet screw in gradually until you hear a slowing of
the engine speed.
b) Turn main jet screw out (enrichen) 1/2 (one-half) turn.

3. This has always given me good under load power. If your exhaust pipe.muffler is not too long, you can read the color after a few hours or a day's work. A light tan color is desirable. Black color indicates too rich... unburnt fuel. Whitish indicates too lean.
a) One can also pull a spark plug and apply the same
judgments based upon color.
b) Your own feel for your tractor's power is always a good final
test... all being subjective. The important thing is NOT TOO
LEAN. TOO RICH will soon show in the exhaust coloration.

WD #165 July 1948
Model M Crawler (WM) sold
HD6E 1963

I can try to answer any questions on the WD, M, HD6.

Best,

theoldfarmer

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers WD Carburetor Adjustment HELP!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Remember when setting the idle speed that the idle air mixture screw (does not) set the idle speed. The butterfly stop screw on the back sets the speed. The stop screw adjusts the slight opening of the butterfly for idle. The idle mixture screw adjust the air fuel mixture to make it run smooth at the butterfly setting.

r aiken
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers WD Carburetor Adjustment HELP!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It could be that your carb and fule is correct.
Most old tractors need to run at 1/2 choke untill they warm up. Try that it may help.

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1