Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

Steering box parts - Oliver 550

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nballen

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Steering box parts - Oliver 550 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dad is working on his '59 Oliver 550, Diesel, Saginaw manual steering; rebuilding the steering box after the upper bearing on the steering wheel shaft failed.

Is there a rebuild kit available?

He has the Oliver Parts Manual and the I&T manual for the tractor, but neither one gives part numbers for the Saginaw manual steering box components (just lists it as an assembly).

Looking for Bearings, Seals, Bushings, & Dust Covers.

Thanks,

Nathaniel
(btw, I'm in the Boise, ID area.)

B A Star

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Steering box parts - Oliver 550 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The parts book for the 550 shows two steering gears, part # 100 940AS & 164 661AS.  To view the individual parts you need a component parts breakdown.

The bearings for the steering input shaft are the same for both units.  The cups are (same used upper & lower) Oliver # L 6769 or Hyatt #10790S.  The race is Oliver # L 6770 or Hyatt #10790Z.  The seals on the output shafts are Oliver # E 6784 & bushings # E 6752.  A good bearing house should be able to cross the Oliver number on the seal & bushing to supplier numbers.

I don't know what you mean by "dust covers".

J Schwiebert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box parts - Oliver 550 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those Oliver L-numbered bearings now cross over to M-F part numbers as well. J.

nballen

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box parts - Oliver 550 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the p/n's.

To make sure I understand
Cups = bearing race?

Seal on output shaft = ?
When we tore down the steering box, there were felt "washers" on the sector gear shaft ends, between the steering gear housing and the pittman arms. They did not survive (and were in bad shape anyway).

Bushings # E 6752 - Quantity 2 or 4 required?

What are the dimensions for the o-ring?

Thanks,

Nathaniel

B A Star

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Steering box parts - Oliver 550 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nathaniel:

yes, bearing cup and race are the same.

The parts illustration shows the seal to the outside next to the pitman arm. Inside of the seal is a retainer # L 6818, then packing # L 6784.  Next towards the inside are the bushings, one on each side or a total of two used.

The "O" rings are part # E 6757-A.  I do not have a dimension for them.

nballen

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Steering box parts - Oliver 550 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you, Mr. Star. Please continue to be patient with me as I stumble through this project.

To summarize, the parts required to R&R the steering box are:

(2) Steering shaft bearing (Oliver L 6769 or Hyatt 10790S)
(2) Steering shaft bearing race (Oliver L 6770 or Hyatt 10790Z)
(2) Sector shaft seal (Oliver E 6784)
(4) Sector shaft bushing (Oliver E 6752)
(2) Retainer (Oliver L 6818)
(2) Packing (Oliver L 6784)
(2) O-ring (Oliver E 6757-A)

A few more questions:
There is a "shaft cap" on the end of the steering sector gear with a bushing in that cap (you adjust the sector gear backlash with a screw through that cap). Is this the same bushing as the pittman arm end of the sector gear?

What is the part number(s) of the bearing at the top of the steering shaft, just under the steering wheel?

Thanks for all your help...I think it just might steer easier after this rebuild.

Nathaniel

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box parts - Oliver 550 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did ours a few years ago I went in to our agco dealer and ask for a kit and they looked it up and then printid the parts brake down off the computer with the part numbers and said mark what you need and bring it back they had to order some of it but every thing was avalabel then all the orings ,seals and the top bearing is what I needed

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1