Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

To-35 carburetor

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garymck
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: To-35 carburetor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Ferguson TO-35 with a Carter carburetor will not start. Gas keeps leaking out the porous plug at the bottom of it. Of course, when I turn off the gas supply, the drip stops but starts again when I turn it on. I am sure the carb float must be stuck but before I tear it apart, does anyone agree with my conclusion? It seems to me this happened to this tractor many years ago as well.

maxwell99
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: To-35 carburetor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sounds right to me.

my old 1957 to-35 has the other carb on it, do not remember the name of it right now.

I would take a wood or plastic handle screwdriver and try tapping on the carb body, hopefully you can unstick the float and get it to stop leaking.

if not, then order or purchase a carb kit including new float.

I had to install a metal inline fuel filter between the cutoff and carb to keep dirt and rust out of my old carb and keep the ferg running good.

it runs and idles like a top, but you cannot trust it not to leak sometimes, so I always turn off the gas at the cutoff.

when setting up the carb, the tractor should idle at 400 rpm's. This is your goal, 400 rpm's at idle and when you drop the plow or disk, the tractor takes the fuel and powers up with no engine lag or cough.

good luck,

sometimes to get to this goal:

you must have a fresh tune-up, good plugs, points, wires, heavy duty coil, rotor, timing set right.

also you may need to clean your air cleaner tower, that thing can get packed with dirt over the years.

take it off and soak it in a 5gal bucket of kerosene for a few hours then wash it out a few times, let it drip dry over night,

you will be surprised how much dirt is housed up in that old metal wire mesh air filter.

good luck,

maxwell99
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: To-35 carburetor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

gary,

you might ask this question over on the [MHF] Ferguson forum,
most of the tractors on that site are gas tractors

the boys on this MF forum have the high dollar diesel mf,
not the old stuff like we drive.

max nz

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: To-35 carburetor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

check for faulty fuel tank gas cap is not pressurising the tank forcing gas past the float valve. had this happen on 1 tractor

Gearhead210
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: To-35 carburetor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Definitely the needle & seat not sealing- for one reason or another. Here's a couple things to check while you have it apart:
Make sure the float is set to "level" with the upper half of the carb turned upside down. Also while you have the float off, shake it to see if you can feel or hear any gas inside the floats, if it is a brass float. If it is solid plastic, dunk it in a jar of gas to make sure it floats- the best needle & seat won't seal with a bad float. Then, an issue I have had more times than not, is that the seat itself does not seal against the body of the carburetor- it takes an awful lot of force to get those fiber washers under the seat to seal against somewhat rough cast iron. (Some times a viton O-Ring has been my only solution, but I don't know how well that will hold up long term to the gasoline).
I have a few other tricks if you run out of luck, just lemme know.
Happy Hunting
-Richard

garymck
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: To-35 carburetor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks everybody. Knocking on the side of the carb did not work so I will dismantle the carb tomorrow and let you know what happens.

2tractors
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: To-35 carburetor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That "porous plug" should be solid brass. Maybe some tefylon tape on the threads.

garymck
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: To-35 carburetor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, I changed the needle and seat and checked the float gap. Still a problem so I tore it apart again and moved one float inward as it may have been touching the bowl rim . But the biggest thing was noticing the metal frame that holds the float. It was loose so I hit both pins that anchor it to the bowl with a centre punch to firm the base. Re-assembled and the tractor starts. The float setting could not be set with a loose base. Hope this ends the problem.

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1