Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

2840 JD Transmission Oil Pump

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHORTORDER
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: 2840 JD Transmission Oil Pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The transmission oil pump on my JD 2840 tractor quit working without warning and I lost all hydraulic power. I separated the tractor and found the two oil pump gears completely tooth less. I know the two oil pump drive gears must be replaced. How do I determine if the transmission oil pump housing or the transmission oil pump cover needs to be replaced? If either one needs to be replaced, would getting them from a tractor salvage yard be acceptable? My gut feeling is no, but would like a second opinion. Does anyone know of a place these parts might be available after market. Thanks for your time and effort in solving this problem.

shortorder

ben brown
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2840 JD Transmission Oil Pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i would say the housing would be ok less it has some bad scars or schaches in it you might get the new gears then see if they fit good if not then by the housing. if it were me on that pump i go with new deere not sure you can get after market

SHORTORDER
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 2840 JD Transmission Oil Pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ben
I really do not know how to ask this question but I will give it a try. The surface where the gears slide on or trun on as slight groves. You can catch on them with your finger nails. I would say there not more then a thousandths deep. The side where the gear teeth face is smooth but at the top there is a slight lip. I think that lip is showing wear. I have a tech manual but it does not give any measurements to check it by. If you got the time I would appreciate another comment. Thanks

ben brown
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2840 JD Transmission Oil Pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if has some scars in it then it probley the orginal one as you know that pump pervides all the lube oil for the two speed and pto plus main hy pump. if you have any doughts go with a new pump. be sure and check and make sure the oil in take line is in good shape has no holes and a new suction screen making sure there no junk in the line so as not to damage the new pump.i think the gears might be avalibe through a& i. it also depends if you have the two speed in your tractor.

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1