Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

NH 254 rake/tetter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carasel

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: NH 254 rake/tetter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

anyone have experience with this rake/tetter?
is it easy to change over? hold up well? does it work well? this would save buying and storing two pieces of equipment. any thoughts and advice would be appreciated. it"s 4 years, old barn kept. cost $1950. thanks eddie

haysaver
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: NH 254 rake/tetter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sure it's not a 255? 255 is newer model with bigger tires,fewer grease zerks. I have had mine for four years. Get the operator manual. Not too bad to change over from tedder to rake. Does a great job tedding in fixed setting. Not too good for doubling up rows raking. Good for smaller fields. Have heard they are very expensive parts wise. Did I mention Get The Operators Manual. Price sounds fair but, I think it would be more than four years old.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: NH 254 rake/tetter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep. Too much.

If it's a 254 then it might be 14 years old but it's more likely 24 years old. It definitely isn't 4 years old. The 254 was followed by the 255 which is the current design/model.
The simplest answer is that the 254 is prone to fall apart if you ask much of it. It was intended for the guy that has 10-20 acres of hay and doesn't want the expense of two machines or the time to jump back and forth between hitching and whatnot.... For that it works fairly well. It takes less than 5 minutes to switch over either way from tedding to raking.

It does quite a good job of raking tedded hay, however if you use it in it's widest setting then the rotors don't cover all the ground and it won't roll a swath over that the rotors don't touch. It just bunches the hay to the center. IT forms a very even, workable row that is easy to bale. Tedding is best done with the tines locked up in their fixed position for two reasons. This lessesn the wear on the cam track and all of the associated moving parts in that area which are a very high wear item on the 254, and it does a more agressive, even job of tedding. When setting ti for tedding I try to set the frame to it's narrowest width unless I'm dealing with a light, fast drying crop and pressed for time... When raking I always raked at it's maximum width, but that would depend on your baler.
Problems on the 254 include regular failures of the cam followers, tine arm bushings, support welds that hold the tine arm on, the roll pins that hold the support welds on, the cam track itself, the lock hubs that hold the cam's position and a few more things that escape me at the moment.
The 255 to some degree lessened the wear items around the tine arms... which should lessen the problems with the cam followers.
Personally I'd nominate the 254 as the single poorest designed piece of modern farm equipment ever built.....
I have one that I'd sell if you're really interested.

Rod

carasel

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: NH 254 rake/tetter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks for responses. i looked back at my notes and
realized the seperate tetter i was looking at was 4 years old. the 254 is 16 years old. i talked with the previous owner(i looked at 254 from a dealer)he said it worked fine. just wanted something bigger/faster. i did notice the plastic roller wheels on the ends of the tine arms looked well worn. previous owner told me about a 255 for sale.
with changes made do you think it is a good piece of equipment? i'm doing only 9 acres +/-.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: NH 254 rake/tetter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I still wouldn't call the 255 a good piece of equipment. It's just improved over the 254.
They put bearings on the tine arms rather than neoprene bushings that the 254 had so that should more or less eliminate the wear in that area... but the support welds and their roll pins are still going to wear sloppy and that's usually the first area needing attention. When they get loose the cam followers bottom out in the cam and snap the follower right off. IF you don't notice it right away they cut a track into the cam quite quickly and then it wears the other followers off...

As far as buying one goes, I'll put it this way. If it's in good shape now and not worn in those areas, AND you can buy it cheaper than you can buy an equivelant sized tedder and rake, then it might work out OK for you. Certainly for the acerage you're going over, you're not going to wear it out any time soon. Your size operation is what it was more or less made for. However, if it's worn in any appreciable way, leave it where it's at. If you buy it you're heading out on a 3-4 grand repair adventure. Anything less in terms of repairs leaves a highly unreliable machine...

Rod

carasel

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: NH 254 rake/tetter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rod, thanks for your help. you've given me good advice before. (about loader cylinders and hydrulic pump on another tractor)

David in MD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: NH 254 rake/tetter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rod basically covered the deficiencies. I used a 254 for 6 years for 30 acres (4-5 cut)of alfalfa per year and made out ok. If the cam isn't worn the cam follower rollers weren't that expensive and are easy to replace. The pivot points can be repaired by replacing the roll pins and welding drilled out nuts on the brackets. I just lived with the wear in the tine arm bushings as they were a pain to replace. My main gripe was that the windrow was placed at the center and it took 3 or more passes to make a decent double windrow in light hay. I now use a pull type rotary rake and 4 basket tedder. Pull type implements are much easiery to hook up and unhook quickly. I've heard that New Idea made a really nice combo rake tedder but have no personal experience with them. My preference would be for a rotary rake first, followed by a NH combo rake, followed by a roll bar rake, with a wheel rake last.

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Today's Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1