Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

550 PTO adjustment

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wmthrower
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject: 550 PTO adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a question for you guys. I just bought this 550 a few years ago. The PTO spins slowly when not engaged but I didn't pay too much mind to it. The rest of the tractor is really nice.
I tilled the garden yesterday and noticed that when not engaged the PTO will turn the teeth on the tiller slowly. If I lower the tiller they will stop. When I engage the PTO it works properly. Other than the lever adjustment, can I adjust the PTO so that it will not turn when not engaged or do I need to get into replacing some parts?

c35
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: 550 PTO adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How long since the gear oil replaced for PTO?

If its really old its too viscose and causing the clutch plates to drag a bit.

Get it warmed up then change out oil first before adjusting anything.

J Schwiebert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: 550 PTO adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How much snap do you have on the handle? The 550 uses a multiple disk clutch and you probably have just enough drag caused by friction on all those disks. I would worry more about your over center snap so you do not warp the disks. Also check to make sure your set screw is tight. If you do not have an operators manual order one from Charles City.

SW3
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: 550 PTO adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The pto clutch is a dry clutch system, you may have oil leaking from the transmission seal inside. When it gets onto the pto clutch disc they stick. I had the same problem with mine. Is there any oil leaking from the pto inspection cover? Remove the pto inspection cover under the tractor and take a look in there. Hopefully all you need to do is adjust the pto clutch -

As per my manual - 1973 Oliver 550. To adjust the clutch, stop engine, release pto lever (push it forward) Remove hand hole cover from under the tractor. The hand hole cover is about in the center of the tractor held in place by four small bolts. Reach through the hand hole and rotate the pto clutch assembly until the adjusting ring lock pin is on the bottom of the assembly. With a screwdriver tip, depress the locking pin and rotate the adjusting ring to the next notch. Clockwise to increase, counterclockwise to decrease clutch engagement pressure. Very easy to do, it may take a few notches to get it adjusted correctly.

Also read Shep's article - 550 Purchaser's Checklist - see link below. It can be found on this site under Research and Info, Articles, Maint. and Mech.

Good Luck
Untitled URL Link

MapleStone
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: 550 PTO adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey J,

I haven't played...er used my PTO much as I don't currently have any PTO driven implements but I'm pretty sure I didn't feel a snap when I engaged it. It was just a soft engagment.

And my PTO turns slowly too.

Should I worry about this and what adjustment do I need to do?

wmthrower
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: 550 PTO adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas. I'll have to order a service manual. I'll look this week at the cover and at the fluid. I just bought the tractor a couple weeks ago so I don't know about the service record. My guess is that the fluid needs to be changed. Do these take trans/hyd fluid? How many gallons does it take? If that does not work I'll look into the clutch adjustment. Right now I don't know if anything leaks.

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1