Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

Ford 9N Starter Installation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Myers

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Ford 9N Starter Installation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have an issue of putting the starter back on my 9N. Bruce(Va)has offered some good advice,but I have had trouble responding so I'm starting a new posting. I can't quite get the starter into position to bolt in on. The teeth on the starter abut the flywheel teeth, but I can't move it sideways enough to engage it. This is the same starter I took off so I know it fit once. The hoe is egg-shaped, but I still need another 1/4 or so of movement. Any suggestions?

Danny in CO
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 9N Starter Installation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob,

Make the hole a little more egg-shaped.

Danny

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 9N Starter Installation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sound slike you have the drive in the 'engaged' position where it is sucked in close tot he starter face.. in that case, I'd either spin it back out on a wire wheel on my bench grinder or drill press, or rotate the drive a bit to try to get the teeth to line up and fall into place. They are a tough cookie to install when engaged.. but I've done it.

soundguy

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 9N Starter Installation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you engage the bendix while it was off? If it has the big spring on it, it's the old style; spin it back on the wire wheel on your bench grinder. If it doesn't have the big spring, post back for help on spinning it back; I slept through that class!
50 Tips

Bob Myers

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 9N Starter Installation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bruce, both you and "soundguy" mentioned using a wire brush to spin the starter back. I can move it back by hand fairly easily. Does this indicate a problem? The assembly has a 2" dia spring that is 1.5" long when assemabled and 1" when compressed. Is this what you are calling a big spring? Should the spring be compressed or not when assembling to the tractor?

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 9N Starter Installation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When the starter motor turns, it draws the bendix forward on the shaft toward the starter motor. The bendix then engages the ring gear & turns the engine over. When the engine RPM's exceed the bendix design speed (which I can never remember)the bendix disengages.

Look at the gear on the bendix. If it is about 2 inches back on the shaft from the motor, it is disengaged.
50 Tips

don b 1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 9N Starter Installation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob......did you remove the engine drain cock and oil canister?Doing this gives a lot more wiggle room. don b1

Bob Myers

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 9N Starter Installation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don, yes I have removed them. Thanks.

Bob

Bob Myers

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 9N Starter Installation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Soundguy, I think you must be correct that the starter is in the engaged position. I can rotate it by hand to the disengaged position but it won't stay there while I am jostling it around. Any other advice?

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 9N Starter Installation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you should not be able to rotate it to the out position by hand.. it usually has to be spun out by overspeed motion.

soundguy

Bob Myers

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 9N Starter Installation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. I think you have given me the key. I probably cant get it installed because it isn't in the OUT position. There must be something wrong with the Bendix or me. So I will probably have to have a professional look it over. Thanks again.
Bob

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 9N Starter Installation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

post a pic.

soundguy

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1