Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

Time For An Oil Change-MF 135

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trailgoat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Time For An Oil Change-MF 135 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I"m getting ready to change the oil on my MF 135. This is the first time I"ve ever done this. I"ve purchased the oil and the filter--I just need a little guidance. What"s the process? Drain the oil, change the filter, add the oil? My manual says it"ll take about 6.5 quarts--is this correct? Also, once changed, should I run the tractor for a while and then re-check the oil level? I just want to do this properly so I don"t screw anything up. I"ve got a knack for doing that to tractors. Smile Thanks, in advance.

DavidP, South Wales

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Time For An Oil Change-MF 135 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi,
You've got the procedure about right. I would run the engine to warm it up before draining.
Make sure you have a good fitting spanner on the sump plug. They are shallow headed and get damaged with the wrong spanner. Depending on the type of filter that you have; if its a screw-on cartridge smear some oil around the rubber seal and tighten to hand-tight. If its a paper element inside a canister; remove the canister and clean out. Make sure you don't loose the platform ring and spring. Using a small screwdriver prise the old ring out from the filter head. There may be more than one new ring present so make sure you use the correct one. Fit it very carefully taking care not to twist it otherwise you will have a leak. Refit the canister but do not overtighten. If you are able to fit a new copper washer under the bolt head, all well and good.
The 135 will take about 1.5 UK gallons. Fill with oil up to the full mark on the dipstick.
Turn the engine over a couple of times with the stop control 'OUT'. This will allow new oil to be circulated before the engine starts. Start the engine and check the oil gauge for pressure and the filter for any sign of a leak. When all is OK, stop the engine and leave for 3-5 minutes. Check the oil level and top up as required. Do not overfill.

DavidP South Wales

Trailgoat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Time For An Oil Change-MF 135 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for your response, David. I was hoping you"d respond--just from reading thousands of pages in the Massey archives, I can tell you nothing short of an "expert" on Masseys.

Just a couple of follow-up questions...

1. What"s a "spanner" and where is the "sump plug"?

2. You mention turning the engine "over" a few times with the stop control "out" to allow for new oil circulation. Makes complete sense, but what"s the technique? Also (excuse my tractor ignorance), what"s the "stop control"?

Obviously, I"m a tractor "newbie"--but, I"m not afraid to ask questions. Sure beats ruining a beautiful tractor. Smile

tg in VA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Time For An Oil Change-MF 135 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A spanner is a wrench
The sump plug is the oil drain plug on the side of the oil pan
David is suggesting you turn the engine over a couple of times with the key off (if it i a gasoline engine) or with the fuel shut off (if it is a diesel)

tg in VA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Time For An Oil Change-MF 135 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A spanner is a wrench
The sump plug is the oil drain plug
David is suggesting you trun the engine over (after you have changed the oil) with teh key off (if a gasoline engine) or with the fuel shut off (if a diesel).

DavidP, South Wales

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Time For An Oil Change-MF 135 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello, there you have it!
Two great nations seperated by a common language!!!

DavidP

C.JOSEPH

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Time For An Oil Change-MF 135 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi
pls. advise type of engine and gear oil at min. ambyent temp. 25 deg. celcuse

Don-Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Time For An Oil Change-MF 135 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not sure what that translates to in fehrenheit, but sounds fairly warm. If so, a good Deisel rated 15w-40 for the engine, and at the absolute minimum a good trans/hydraulic fluid for the rear end. Massey's Perma-Tran 821XL is best however.

Donovan from Wisconsin

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1